Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

NETSH.EXE Error Message

by docjay1 / August 21, 2009 11:58 PM PDT

After installing a Linksys WRT160N Router I receive the following error message upon start-up and approximately every 10 minutes while using computer:

Windows Error Message Title: nmctxth.exe
This application has failed to start because NETSH.EXE was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Note: The router appears to be working fine. I called Linksys and they were not familiar with this error.

I am using Windows XP SP3.

Please help . . .

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NETSH.EXE Error Message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NETSH.EXE Error Message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: installing a router
by Kees Bakker / August 22, 2009 12:07 AM PDT

Installing a router doesn't imply installing software. You just plug the router between the ADSL/cable-modem you used before you used a router and you can use it, although maybe you need to reset some settings using IPCONFIG, because the gateway address will change.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/nmctxth.exe-21466.html tells this is not a Microsoft Windows program, but part of Network Magic. Are you sure you need it? My guess is that nothing will go wrong if you go into the startup tab of msconfig and uncheck this program, so it won't run after the next boot.
It makes some sense that Linksys doesn't know about the error if it is neither their program nor an OS program they need.

I suspect you did more than you tell us in your post: installing a router.

Kees

Collapse -
same problem
by cscorry / January 2, 2010 11:42 AM PST

I just installed the Linksys 160N router and encountered the same problem. I utilized Linksys' "Set-up Service", a service that allows you to call a help desk and the "support expert" walks you through the set-up process. The support person used "Cisco Webex" to view my display screen and coach me through set-up. after disconnecting I rebooted my computer and began receiving the NETSH.EXE error message.

Suggestions?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.