General discussion

Netscape Mail POP servers

Hey!

Does anyone have the POP parameters of Netscape Mail? I'd like to use Thunderbird but I want to have on hand the POP addresses so I can access my mail with it. Thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Netscape Mail POP servers
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Netscape Mail POP servers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
But surely

POP addresses are unique to who your ISP is.

You can have mine with pleasure but unless you intend to use my ISP, (NTL), I am not sure what help this would be.

Why don't you use the pop address off your current email client?

Mark

- Collapse -
It's not the same

Netscape Mail isn't from an ISP, it's a web-based Email client like Yahoo! and Hotmail. The difference between Netscape Mail and Mail from Netscape ISP is how the addresses end. Web based is "example@netscape.net" while the ISP is "example@netscape.com"

I know it's available because I've used it before with the Netscape Mail & Newsgroup program but I really don't want to download Netscape just to use their E-mail Client. So if I have the POP and SMTP servers, I can add them to Thunderbird and be able to access my accounts through there.

- Collapse -
It must be me!

Sorry but I must be particularly thick today.

What are you using at the present? The POP and SMTP servers must be the same whatever email client you use.

What happens when you use the same settings in Thunderbird? What error messages do you get?

Mark

- Collapse -
I wouldn't know

I haven't attempted to do so yet because I don't have the parameters at hand. I looked on the Netscape Web Site and they don't have it either. It seems that the only way I can get them is by downloading Netscape, which I don't want to do. What I would like is that a fellow Netscape.net Webmail user would tell me what the POP and SMTP addresses are so I can configure them into Thunderbird.

- Collapse -
Re: Netscape Mail POP servers

I had no luck with Netscape either. Try using Gmail. Gmail is a free web base E-mail service that has 1Gig. of storage and 10mb attachments that also can be configured to pop3 operation.

- Collapse -
Got it!

I have Gmail also. But what I'd like to do is combine both of them to Thunderbird so I don't have to access the accounts via browser. But if I can't find the POP servers, I may have to fade out Netscape and send everything to Gmail.

- Collapse -
its IMAP, not POP

Netscape webmail uses a proprietary interface via the Netscape instant messenger. One way to access this account from a standard mail client is to use FreePops. U can download it at http://www.freepops.org/en/ . After this is installed you set up a pop3 account with a server of localhost and a port of 2000. The freepops tool needs to be running to pull email from the web interface and send it to you as a simulated pop server. BTW. Freepops is a drag to configure. The instructions really blow. Good luck

CNET Forums

Forum Info