General discussion

Netowrk connections page u/s

Hi Guys first time post here, I have an issue with m xp3 i think i got infected and managed to clear it but my network connections page is empty, although I can still access the internet..

there has been another couple of issues though. windows installer is working on most stuff but n other programs it has issues Sad i dont think i can upload pics but here is a picture of the network connections page when i open it

http://tinypic.com/r/dqk8oy/7

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Netowrk connections page u/s
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Netowrk connections page u/s
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

I have tried the microsoft fixes regsrv32 etc but to no avail. I was hoping a system process was not running but tried diagnostic set up in msconfig and nothing.

- Collapse -
If you have a proper copy the XP CD you have options

up to and including a repair installation of the OS. This should not mess with data or applications that were still functional after the attack. It's still possible you have hidden pests so make sure you address that thoroughly or even the repair installation might not work properly.

- Collapse -
Tell us more

I agree Steven's suggestion. If you told us more it would help.

1] Is this Windows XP? I know you say XP, but that image you gave seems to suggest an older version of Windows. Has it been modified in any way? The image you provide shows what seems to be an older version of Windows. I've just opened my older XP system and I see "My Network Places", not Network Connections, as shown in the image below;

http://imageshack.us/f/690/mynetworkplaces.jpg/

2] What malware did you have, and how did you remove it, eg what scanners/utilities?

3] Do you have any System Restore points available that you could return to, rather than attempting a repair install?

Mark

- Collapse -
Looks like you are using the Classic ...

menus in XP.

Try Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections > Network Setup Wizard

You didn't mention what you used to scan for malware but sometimes it is much easier and quicker ti simply perform a Repair Installation or to take the computer back to a factory restore AFTER backing up all the data files and emails with serial numbers of applications you may have purchased via the Internet.

CNET Forums