General discussion

Netgear Wireless connection killing me

Hi
I have Netgear Wireless router on comcast internet connection for last 5 years and I never had any problem until recently. I live in a one bedroom apartment and I have my router in bedroom and the connection in bedroom is satisfactory (although never get full bars). In bedroom I usually get 3-4 bars but as soon as I go to living room, the bars drop from 4 to 1 and sometime the connection is dropped altogether and the my laptop starts connecting again. I have 2 laptops and 3 IPhones in the house that can connect to the wireless router but I know my IPhones are not right now connecting to wireless. I am worried about the laptop internet connection. It was working great till last month. But now everyday I get trouble connecting to it from my living room. Is the router too old now?? Do I need to go for a new one?? If so, which is the best??

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Netgear Wireless connection killing me
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Netgear Wireless connection killing me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Netgear Wireless connection killing me

forgot to mention, It fumes me when I see other neighbouring wireless connections show 5 bars and my own shows 1 or 2 Sad( My router is secured on WEP. Please help!!

- Collapse -
Re: bad wireless signal

Seems time to try another router. And while configuring those, be sure to switch to WPA2. WEP is rather unsecure.

And it seems that there's no best. Unless you find that all those "neighbouring connections" all use the same. But that's unlikely, don't you think.

Kees

- Collapse -
Time to go for a new router

You are right, time to go for a new one. I hope it works otherwise I will kill myself Happy I may need to do some research on routers. But there is something called G or N routers. Right? Which kind of routers should I look for?

- Collapse -
Re: G and N router
- Collapse -
G and N router

I only have the following Laptops, no PC.
1. Asus Eee Net Book (with Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n).
2. Old Compaq V5000 (not sure if N or G).

I always use wirelessly no cable.

- Collapse -
And do those laptops ...

have Wireless-G or Wireless-N aboard?

Kees

- Collapse -
Repeating the advice.

We know that WEP is trouble. After all the posts in these forum, we know it's confirmed.

The fix is easy. Try it.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info