Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Netgear WGT624 V3 Wireless Router Problems

by BigG2 / January 15, 2007 5:17 PM PST

Hi Guys/Gals,

My wireless connection is not working and i cannot log on to it, I have connected a Netgear WGT624 V3 Wireless Router to my Motorola SurfBoard SB5101E Modem which is connected to Telewest Cable Broadband (internet works fine if i access directly through the modem), on the router the power light is lit and also the internet light flashes rapidly but the wireless light comes on for a couple of
seconds and then goes out - i think this is the problem? I have tried logging on to the router to check the wireless settings but cannot access it, i have also tried connecting directly via LAN but cannot get this to work either although i am not sure if i have connected it correctly?

Any ideas/comments/advice is very much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

BigG2.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netgear WGT624 V3 Wireless Router Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netgear WGT624 V3 Wireless Router Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Netgear WGT624 V3 Wireless Router Problems
by BigG2 / January 16, 2007 4:50 PM PST

Any ideas - anyone?

Cheers,
BigG2.

Collapse -
install latest firmware on router
by linkit / January 16, 2007 7:26 PM PST

What computer make & model?
What computer OS? If XP, is it SP2 and fully updated?

Use a working Internet connection to download and install ALL the latest drivers from the PC maker's website. If you purchased the wireless adapter separately, download and install the wireless adapter drivers from the adapter maker's website.

Make a wired connection to a numbered port on the back of the router.
Can you log in to the routers admin page now?

Ultimately, you need to follow the procedure to install the latest firmware on the router:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WGT624v3.asp

The REFERENCE MANUAL is there, too.

Collapse -
Netgear WGT624 V3 Router Login Problem
by jonplym / January 30, 2007 9:14 AM PST

I have exactly the same problem as this and is connected in the same way, i have a degree in Networking, and cant resolve this problem, Im thinking it must be a fault with the product and will have to contact netgear. Before this however, I will try to login using a different Ip address; 192.168.0.1 as opposed to the 192.168.0.2 as it says in the manual.
If anyone else had this problem can you tell me what you did to resolve it??

Jon

Collapse -
Netgear WGT624 Router Login Problem
by BigG2 / January 30, 2007 4:42 PM PST

Hi mate,

Well it is now sorted, what i did is connect the router to the modem as stated (make sure your modem is on when you power it back up as some go in to standby). Then i connected a LAN cable to the modem and logged in to it that way, then i ran the wizard and hey presto it works!!

Maybe this will work for you as well!

Regards,
BigG.....

Collapse -
Manual says
by PudgyOne / January 30, 2007 6:27 PM PST
Collapse -
Netgear WGT624v3 Installation software
by kurt.l / April 6, 2007 3:55 AM PDT

I bought a refurbished router. Netgear indicated that the installation guide and software can be downloaded from their website, but I could only find firmware. Anyone know where I can find installation software?

Collapse -
Here's the install guide.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2007 4:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
There is no installation guide
by PudgyOne / April 6, 2007 8:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Getting irritated
by Crshnbrn / July 10, 2008 6:15 AM PDT

Okay, I'm having pretty much the same problem, with the exception that I have no Wireless or Internet light activity. All computers connected to the router still have internet, but I can't log into the router at all with routerlogin or IP Addresses. And I can't connect to the router wirelessly at all. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Did you happen to have Zone Alarm installed?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2008 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Getting irritated
Collapse -
Netgear WGT624 V3 Wireless Router Problems
by Crshnbrn / July 10, 2008 7:42 AM PDT

Unfortunately I don't have ZoneAlarm so that didn't help at all, but thanks for trying.

Collapse -
The KB article is breaking more than ZA.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2008 7:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
To login to your router
by PudgyOne / July 10, 2008 3:25 PM PDT

Have your computer connect.

Start, run or hit the Windows Key and the R key at the same time.

typr

cmd

hit enter

type ipconfig /all (space between the g and /)

hit enter

look for the default gateway. Might look something like 192.168.1.1

What ever the default gateway is, Open your browser and type the default gateway in the browser. It will then prompt you for your username and password.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
Set computer to DHCP and let it get IP from switch
by winelf / March 3, 2012 9:20 AM PST

Set computer to DHCP and let it get IP from switch

Based on PudgyOne's response I flashed on the fact I hard set my laptop's IP to 192.168.1.2 which should have worked just fine with 198.162.1.1 but the web page would not load. Setting the laptop to DHCP it got the same Ip !92.168.1.2 from the netgear switch but the page loaded.

what a wonderful way to kill a day so much fun. I consider this a bug as the ipconfig /all returned the same thing for my setting whether I hard set the IP mask and gateway or I let DHCP do it. Yet one works and one doesn't.

Collapse -
I don't see a way to edit post and I mis typed the IP
by winelf / March 3, 2012 2:08 PM PST

I mistyped the ip in the post
should have typed
I hard set my laptop's IP to 192.168.1.2 which should have worked just fine with 198.168.1.1 but the web page would not load.

Collapse -
Router Login
by sw1sh / July 13, 2008 10:12 AM PDT

You should know that if router is not set up to allow wireless login then it will deny you.

Try to login to the router by directly connecting your computer (preferably the one you used on initial setup)to it. Normally, as others have pointed out, you just type in 192.168.1.1 to connect to the router via a web browser. If this fails then you may have to reset the router so that you can login using the default username & password.

Netgear's official support page:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WGT624v3.asp

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?