General discussion

Netgear WGR614v6 - Wired Works, Wireless Does Not

Hello - I am looking for some help on I hope a simple problem I am having. Just rehooked up my Netgear WGR614v6 router after in was in storage for 6 months during my move. I have a Dell Latitude and I can connect to the internet when hardwired no problem. My Macbook can also connect when wired and also wirelessly. The problem is I cannot connect to my router wirelessly. Please know my PC does work in other hotspots no problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Netgear WGR614v6 - Wired Works, Wireless Does Not
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Netgear WGR614v6 - Wired Works, Wireless Does Not
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A little more detail please.

Vista has issues like that and it's documented -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233 among a dozen other articles. But with just the router and what you told, any guess is just a guess.
Bob

- Collapse -
More Detail

Hi Bob, thanks you for the quick response. Sorry, I am knew to this. My PC does see the wireless network (it is WPA secured). I am sure I am typing the correct network key. It goes through "acquiring network address" and ends up with "limited or no connectivity" or "not connected." I have completed reset the router a couple times and followed the setup wizard through netgear. As I mentioned, my wife's Mac can connect to our home network (named DKEG), and my computer does work well at other wifi places (starbucks, library, etc.). For some reason it will not connect to our home network. I did use my PC to setup the router if that matter. Any more info I can provide I would be gald to. Thank you.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

But I didn't see any detail about the machine.

I will share that I had to do a little jumping through hoops to connect to a WPA router recently on a HP windows 7 machine, but your post didn't reveal make, model and more. I'm unsubscribed and hope others will pitch in.
Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) More Detail - Dell Latitude D600 Windows XP
- Collapse -
XP doesn't do WPA.

That came later. Case solved?

- Collapse -
Tried Changing Channels On The Router? Plus...

..making sure the router SSID is displayed.. (Don't hide the SSID.) I've found changing the channel in the router settings to either 1 or 11, verses the default "6", seems to help occasionally.

Try setting the router settings for "Beacon Interval" between "50 - 100" as some defaults are larger than that and I recently fixed a similar problem by reducing the interval to 50. If there is a "medium" default firewall setting on the router, turn it OFF till you get the connection working as wanted.

You might also try installing an updated wireless adapter driver on the computer..

Just some thoughts...

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums