Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Netgear router and wifi adapter speed

by aim-high / November 20, 2011 1:09 AM PST

I am planning to buy this netgear router
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band Router WNDR3400
the description of this route says i can get a combined thruput of 300 + 300 because it is a dual band

Now my laptop has got an intel centrino Advanced-N 6200 wi-fi adapter.
http://www.intel.com/products/wirele...6200/index.htm

the description of adapter says it works in dual band and will give me 300 max throughput.

Question: Can I configure this adapter in laptop to work in dual band and get 300+300 max throughput ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netgear router and wifi adapter speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netgear router and wifi adapter speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2011 3:03 AM PST

I have yet to find anyone achieve this since all the adapters or on 2.4 or the other band. Not both at the same time.
Bob

Collapse -
new
by aim-high / November 20, 2011 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: No.

In my laptop, I can see there is an option to set my intel wireless adapter to either 2.4 or 5 or multi-band
If I were to change to multi band and use this router, shudnt i get 300 + 300 ?

Collapse -
No.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 20, 2011 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: new

But why not try and convince yourself?

Kees

Collapse -
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2011 3:13 AM PST

I've seen such seek one or the other but I fear you think it will do both at the same time.

A short course in the design would be needed to explain why, beyond the simple answers.
Bob

Collapse -
Not defined.
by bill012 / November 20, 2011 3:26 AM PST

It doesn't really matter because you won't even get the 300 in the first place. Besides the fact that no home user has 300m internet wireless technology is half duplex.

So to your question, there is no standard defined for the bonding of 2.4 and 5 channels into a single stream. This means if this ability even existed it would a be a proprietary thing which would mean both your nic and your router would have to come from the same vendor.

If you want to write your own drivers and firmware it is technically possible I suppose.

You could in theory also get 2 completely separate lan connections up if your PC nic allows this, the router more than likely does. But now you have the larger issue of how to use 2 lan connection at the same time. This is the how do I run 2 internet connections question that there is no good answer for.

Collapse -
For the adapter in question, still no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2011 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Not defined.

The radio is on one band or another. Not both. At least that's what the spec sheet said.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!