Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Netgear ProSafe shuts off at night

Hi! I have a client who is using a Netgear ProSafe VPN firewall router fvs318v3 with 10/100 mbps switch. They are a very small office and only use it as a switch, not a firewall router to have 5 PC's share web access and see each other and 2 printers in a peer-to-peer network.

They were on low-level (128 KBps) Earthlink DSL. They recently switched to Time Warner Road Runner cable. When the cable was first installed the router didn't recognize the cable modem, but they shut everything off and followed the instruction for what order to turn things on and it worked.

Randomly (probably about 1/4 - 1/3 of the time) the router seems to stop recognizing the cable modem overnight. When they come in in the morning, they repeat the above shutoff/turn on procedure and all is fine again. This is a problem because when it's "offline" they can't use GoToMyPC to remote into their office computers.

Any thoughts on troubleshooting this would be welcome, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netgear ProSafe shuts off at night
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netgear ProSafe shuts off at night
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So let's try obvious.

In reply to: Netgear ProSafe shuts off at night

Did they try another router?

I do that unless I see other issues like no UPS or such because the hourly charges quickly pile up and pay for the new hardware.
Bob

Collapse -
Well, they don't have another router, so....

In reply to: So let's try obvious.

I was thinking things like maybe upgrading the firmware (I don't think they have the latest) or changing the timeout setting (I believe I read on Netgear's support website something about changing the timeout setting to 0 to possibly solve this).

Somewhere I read researching this issue outside of this forum something about preventing this by having one computer on their network always have some low level activity going. It had reminded me that we had this problem about 10 years ago at my old job with an old ISDN setup and we setup a spare computer to constantly ping somewhere (I think to their own domain) and it kept the connection going.

Any thoughts on this?

Collapse -
All good ideas.

In reply to: Well, they don't have another router, so....

Let me be honest here. There was a time when we would fritter away time to make sure it was the hardware. But today we'll give it the once over, the firmware, settings and UPS check then move to a swap because at 200+ per hour for company network support and the number of bucks at stake they want it fixed. They don't care if the router is dead, dying or needs a tweak. They want it fixed now.
Bob

Collapse -
Gotcha

In reply to: All good ideas.

Thanks, I'll see what they want to do, glad I was on the right track.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.