The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Netflix subscribers - opinion of streaming library?

by GotoDengo / October 25, 2008 10:06 AM PDT

I'm considering getting my wife Netflix for Christmas. She watches TV and movies primarily on her PC -- we have a pc-based "Tivo", and she buys a lot of iTunes stuff. Thus she'll probably be more interested in the streaming Netflix content, moreso than DVDs.

For Netflix customers, how good/bad is the streaming content? It's not possible to see the streaming library without signing up. That seems to not bode well. I know Netflix is only able to offer the all-you-can-eat rate after a movie has exhausted all other avenues - DVD, on-demand, hotels, airplanes, etc. I'm just wondering what that ends up translating as.

I know it's subjective, but "Becoming Jane" and "Meet Bill" are being headlined on the Netflix site -- is it that bad?

Any thought are appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netflix subscribers - opinion of streaming library?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netflix subscribers - opinion of streaming library?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check out their Starz Play Library...
by sunnyvalesmostwanted / October 25, 2008 12:32 PM PDT

I love it. They've just added National Treasure 2, and have many other Disney films such as Enchanted, Pirates: At World's End and Ratatouille. I have nearly 200 films in my queue, just waiting for me to watch. We stream from a HTPC to a 46 Sony Bravia, and most are no worse looking than a DVD.

Collapse -
not all encompasing, but better with stars
by robstak / October 26, 2008 9:55 AM PDT

quality isnt great but starts almost instantly. the real drawback is the available movies... you can go to netflix and see which are available...

Collapse -
Netflix not worth it just for streaming
by Zarakand / October 26, 2008 12:06 PM PDT

The thing I love most about it is watching tv series such as 30 Rock and The Office. The selection of streaming movies isn't great but it is an excellent supplement to their basic service at no extra charge.

At the moment it is not worth it if you are not also going to watch DVDS and actively return them. As their streaming library grows they might offer a monthly service that allows only streaming movies and no physical media.

Collapse -
Unfortunately you can't see the streaming titles
by GotoDengo / October 30, 2008 2:28 PM PDT

You can only see a dozen or so streamable headlined titles, as far as I can tell. You can browse the full library, but when you click the "Click here for smaller streaming library", you you only get a few examples. If you DO know how to browse (not search) the streaming library, please let me know.

Collapse -
I can browse streaming titles
by beelissa / October 31, 2008 11:27 PM PDT

If you go to the "watch instantly" tab you can find lots of ways to browse the streaming titles. They have TV shows and movies. Also, if you look at your regular queue, if you happen to have a movie on there that's available to watch instantly, it will have a button telling you it's available to watch instantly.

This all works for me, even though, in Firefox, I still can't watch them. We've watched a few, switching to IE just to watch them. But it lets us browse for them in Firefox.

Collapse -
Pretty good so far
by The_Noid / October 26, 2008 9:12 PM PDT

I got netflix for the dvds but have been using the streaming now for about a month. In fact, we have a 32" LCD in the bedroom hooked up to nothing but a laptop - we watch hulu and netflix mostly.
As with all things, it depends on what your wife is into watching. They have a pretty good selection of TV like 30 rock, all the CSI series, Law and Order, etc. They also have things like Dexter and Weeds and Dead Like Me, etc.
The movies just got a huge shot in the arm with Starz which apparantly allowed disney movies because now there are a fair amount of pretty recent good movies - the stuff you'd find on a cable movie channel.
They also offer HEROES episodes a day after they air on TV - very convenient.
You can actually browse the content without signing up for the service if you want.
The quality is great if you have a wired connection or a very very good wireless connection - the movie starts almost instantly (except for a few OK boxes you have to click - and is damn near DVD quality. I have not experienced any slowdowns or skips or things like that.
One nice thing is that if you stop the movie - it remembers where you were the next time you play it.

Collapse -
Pros and Cons
by Renegade Knight / October 27, 2008 12:18 AM PDT

The library is small compared to the DVDs.
The streaming works well when it works but if your connection slows down it pauses the movie and waits for things to catch up. Nothing like a 10 min pause at the movies climax.

Collapse -
Blurry
by TotalKonfuzion / October 27, 2008 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Pros and Cons

I've noticed that the new Starz library is completely out of focus and blurry..it's quite odd. Most movies are fine but some are blurry. Anyone else find this? I have my pc hooked up via RGB to a Vizio 42 inch LCD and all my Xvid movies are fine, just some netflix titles are problematic.

Collapse -
Thanks for the replies everyone.
by GotoDengo / October 30, 2008 2:29 PM PDT

I'll probably still do it, as is much less picky than I am about what she watches, so she'll probably enjoy some of the old stuff. Just wondering if it was total crap. Sounds like not. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?