Samsung forum

Question

Netflix issues on Samsung UHD Smart TV

I have a brand new Samsung UN55HU8700 TV - that's one of the curved UHD 4K Smart TV's... and I'm having some seriously weird issues with the Netflix app.

Everything works fine at first... then after a while, the only titles that will load are a few select UHD titles - no regular streams work - all I get is the "we're having trouble with this title right now, please try again later" message. And not ALL of the UHD titles will load, just SOME of them.

I've spent hours now on chat with both Netflix and Samsung tech support... and each is blaming the other for the problem. But it appears that doing a full reset of the TV suddenly fixes the problem and everything works fine... for a few hours, until the problem comes back and stays until I do another reset.

This is obviously not a great situation. The Netflix agent I spoke with said that it's a problem with Samsung's firmware and that they're working on an update. But the Samsung rep said it's "definitely not our firmware" and that she was unaware of a universal problem or update.

Anybody else having these problems? Where suddenly all you can load is a select few UHD titles and nothing else? And anybody know of a fix, or whether or not Samsung really IS working on a firmware fix for this issue?

I'm getting REALLY frustrated. New TV's shouldn't be this hard. LOL.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netflix issues on Samsung UHD Smart TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netflix issues on Samsung UHD Smart TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Netflix fibbed there.

In reply to: Netflix issues on Samsung UHD Smart TV

In the current system when an app launches the TV is under the total control of the app. Frankly Netflix fibbed here but since we can't wait for a fix, did you try the usual fix such as a Roku?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Exact Same Issue

I have the exact same TV and the same issue. I have not upgraded to the Netflix UHD program yet - wanted to test everything out before I upgrade. But now I'm not able to watch anything on streaming on this new TV. Very upset.

Previously, I also had the issue of Netflix not launching when the TV was just out of the box. I fixed that one from using the online posted method of switching to Australia-UK-US with the Smart TV Auto Update off. Now I'm able to get into the app and see everything in my account, but trying to play any title I'll get that "we're having trouble with this title" error message.

Collapse -
That message has been seen

In reply to: Exact Same Issue

When the TV's date/time is too far off. Also, some ISP's block this. Workaround? Try Google's DNS of 8.8.8.8
Bob

Collapse -
Bob, Thanks for the suggestion!

In reply to: That message has been seen

My TV's date/time is set correctly and also on automatic. I'm reading into the Google DNS setting - since I'm new to the topic I'll study it a little more before trying it.

Collapse -
While you are studying.

In reply to: Bob, Thanks for the suggestion!

Research NAMEBENCH and you'll see that ISP DNS's appear to be hijacking lookups. I expect to see some expose articles soon.
Bob

PS. Why the research? You can try it and find out in about 5 or less minutes. It's reversible as well.

Collapse -
That worked (UE55JS9000)

In reply to: That message has been seen

I'm in the UK and have been having e same message on my new UE55JS9000. Resetting the DNS manually to 8.8.8.8 fixed it for me! Thanks.
Hopefully until a proper fix comes from either Netflix or Samsung!

Collapse -
Correction!!!!! Stopped working AGAIN!!!

In reply to: That worked (UE55JS9000)

Afraid to say that Netflix 4K on my UE55JS9000 is once again showing the message "We're having trouble playing this title at the moment. Please try again later or select a different title."
Have tried selecting different titles (both 4K and HD titles), and although some START to play, the message pops up after a few seconds.
Have checked my broadband speed using the browser in the TV and the result was 80 Mbps download and 35mbs upload, so certainly not an issue there. Also, running Netflix (same account) on my Apple TV through the same screen works ok, although obviously only HD titles.
Makes the added expenses of the 4K service nonsensical, but looks like a Samsung issue rather than a Netflix one.

Collapse -
How to test connection speed

In reply to: Correction!!!!! Stopped working AGAIN!!!

I've had the same problem for some time and Samsung support seem to want to blame my broadband speed which I have just upgraded to 360mb! After logging into my TV the agent said that she was only seeing 14mb at the TV . I didn't really believe her and wondered how she was seeing this. I tried running speedtest.net wihtin the browser but it didn't work - no flash player supported - so how can I test the speed from within the TV or browser?

Collapse -
Problem resolved?

In reply to: How to test connection speed

After some further calls to Samsung one of their support staff suggested that when the problem occurs I should exit Netflix (using the Exit Netflix button on the main menu) and then restart it. This does work for me any time I have tried it and in fact the problem doesn't seem to occur as often now!

Collapse -
PROBLEM UN55JS9000

In reply to: Correction!!!!! Stopped working AGAIN!!!

I have the same problem with my Samsung Smart Tv UN55JS9000.

How Did you solve the problem?

Thanks

Collapse -
Netflix have UHD?

Do you have to pay extra for the programing (how much more)? I wonder how much bandwidth is need for that. As it is, I don't always get HD.

Collapse -
$4 more on streaming

In reply to: Netflix have UHD?

If you get the 4-device plan, which is $11.99/month, you will see the UHD programming. According to on Netflix you'll need to be able to support 25Mbps speed to run it and the data stream will be approximately 7GB per hour. I have my TV on LAN with 50+ Mbps so it's supposed to work.

Collapse -
50+ Mbps...

In reply to: $4 more on streaming

I bet that cost a few pennies. I think my service is on 15 Mbps max. It will never reach there. I guess it doesn't matter anyway, I don't have a 4K tv.

Collapse -
Netflix and Amazon UHD offering

In reply to: $4 more on streaming

In the last month Amazon has offered me 4k movie service.
Have you had a chance to look into it?
Richard

Collapse -
tiles/blue/green when using apps/iplayer/wifi,itv hub

hi,its main board in tv,just had samsung remote access mine,W.O code came up 11 times, tiles blue,then green,when using apps,even did it when watching film from laptop,hope this helps,bri

Collapse -
Answer
Netflix problems streaming On Samsung UHD659000

I have owned this tv for 9 months.
I have had the problem since day 1.
I load HD NetFlix and begin watching a movie, during a 2 hour movie netflix tells me I have No Internet connection. After exiting Netflix and reloading Netflix app I resume the movie and it loads and runs for another 20 mins. And I get the No Internet connection again.The Samsung diagnostics shows loss of signal between the TV and the ATT Router. I have had Att 3 times come and upgrade me from 24 mbs to 45 mbs, change the Router Twice to the newest and best and install a battery backup for the Router. As an aside all computers, TV's and network devices are on APC 1250 and larger battery backups and FPL is running at a 99+% no flicker up time, so it's not power. I have run both wireless and RJ45 directly to the Smart Hub. In the last month I installed an Apple TV ver 3 and have not had a failure with Netflix since. I watched 6 full movies without an interruption. I then decided to try the Samsung App just to see what happens and it died in about 20 mins. I have no doubt that the Netfix problem is in the Bios installed in the TV, to upgrade the bios I have to replace the external smart hub. I'm gonna call call Samsung on Monday since the TV is under Warranty and under a Samsung Service contract and get it upgraded or replaced.

Lid
Currently have ATT UVerse 45mbs bandwidth.
I have been chasing this goats and have finally come to the conclusion its a NetFlix BIos problem.

Collapse -
Update on my problem Netflix connection dropping.

In reply to: Netflix problems streaming On Samsung UHD659000

Un65F9000 is the correct model number.
Today I called Samsung Tech support. Wednesday Jan 7. 2015
Spoke to level 1 rep and was passed on to level 2 after about 10 mins.
I was holding for level 1 rep for 27 mins before they answered.
Spent 45 mins with level 2 support.
They remoted into TV and ran their stuff.
While we were connected the TV lost the connection so Samsung saw the problem.
They opened a service ticket and are sending a service tech out to replace the WiFi portion of the TV this week.
All in all I was quite impressed with the service that I received. The reps were good at their jobs and I felt that they were competent.
I will continue to update the progress as it happens.
Looking forward to this Friday for service tech to arrive.

On my overall experience I would give Samsung an "A".
If your having this problem I would suggest that if you haven't called then call!
Yes I'm under service contract but so far so good.

Collapse -
Update on Samsung Repair

In reply to: Update on my problem Netflix connection dropping.

Well I didn't get a phone call yesterday from Samsung to confirm my scheduled service appointment.
So I called this morning and found out a service vendor had not yet been selected to handle my service call.
The level 1 rep couldnt explain anything on why I didn't get a call yet so they sent me to level 2 who said that they were still within their acceptable service window for service on my TV.
The level 2 lady said I would get a call today or tomorrow. When I asked to confirm that I would receive a call today or tomorrow and tomorrow was Saturday if I would get a call on Saturday she didn't know what to say. I guess the script she was reading didn't account for weekends. Overall Samsung Satisfaction rating "F". Remember I was promised Jan 9 Friday between 8 and 12. Today. I'll keep you posted on this. Richard

Collapse -
Answer
I got my Netflix streaming to work by changing the countries

This is on the UN55HU8700.

So this came with an unexpected unlucky/lucky twist. After my multiple factory resets, I found out that I had to re-activate the device(TV) for Pandora. On my reactivation attempt, Pandora got stuck on the loading cycle and there was no way for me to get out of it. So I decided to try the "change country" reset again that has worked for Netflix. Not knowing which country does not offer Pandora, I decided to try China, which worked for the first time. I waited for the Smart Hub to delete all US apps and installed all Chinese apps. Then I turned off the TV, waited a couple minutes, then turn it back on again. I then ran the reset and change back to US. After this reset, Netflix miraculously worked! I suggested that if you have that "cannot play this title" error, try changing the country to China, do not go through the UK step suggested by other users. Basically, go US-China-US. Allow all apps to install completely under each country's setting before changing to the next country. Also, some parts of the user agreement comes up in Chinese; however, you just need to remember the "OK" button is always on the left and "Cancel" button is on the right. This goes true for all countries even though you may not know the language.

I'm going to see how stable the service is for a couple weeks before I upgrade to Netflix UHD plan. So far I'm happy that things are working without needing to change to Google DNS.

Collapse -
Interesting...

In reply to: I got my Netflix streaming to work by changing the countries

So I haven't found a fix for the problem yet... (though I'm going to try this country change next time it happens)... but I think I may have found a cause -- but it makes ZERO sense. It seems like the trigger that causes Netflix to have problems loading shows only happens AFTER I access the external hard drive that came special with the TV - you know, the little drive that comes pre-loaded with a smattering of 4K demo reels? It's only AFTER I change the source over to that drive, watch a documentary, and then return to the Smart Hub that Netflix suddenly and magically starts failing. Which seems ridiculous coz I can't figure out why that would impact the Netflix streams in the slightest... but it appears to be the culprit...?

Collapse -
Netflix app woes continue

In reply to: Interesting...

Hey tacolad,
I have the same issue with the Netflix app, but mine usually happened after I left Amazon Instant Video. I do not have that movie pack, so that can't be my cause of the error.
Now, I don't even log into Amazon and Netflix still blows up and I have to reset the Smart HUB in order for it to work a few days, then rinse and repeat... Done the reset twice this week already.

I too get "Lost Internet Connection" several times a day, and it is a direct connection, not using wireless, and I have FIOS 50/50 speeds. Nothing else in my house looses connection, even downloads occurring on my computer at the same time are NOT interrupted.

I'll probably stop using the Samsung apps and use ROKU exclusively, but it is more of a PITA, I prefer the Samsung remote, plus I paid extra for a Smart TV. Very frustrating! I would not recommend this product, my LG Smart TV works flawlessly (unless I just jinxed myself!).

Collapse -
Recap of things that help.

In reply to: Netflix app woes continue

1. Change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 (too often works for ATT folk)
2. Be sure the TV's time is correct for your TimeZone.
3. Ask Samsung if the firmware is up to date and MAKE THAT CALL. Lodge a complaint, get a transaction number. Keep them on the hook for fixes. Folk are making Samsung feel this is OK by not calling and asking for repair.
4. Ask Netflix about their resets. It's been years and they still don't put it into the menus. I can't guess why.

Collapse -
Workaround

In reply to: Recap of things that help.

With my 2015 FHD smart tv, it seems helped disabling 'fast start' in menu - system - general (not sure this are the right words, I use smart tv in italian). It takes some seconds to start, but solved my issues with Netflix and infinity (italian competitor). I think it's something about the router not being able to recover connection when TV wakes up from standby

Collapse -
Thanks, tried this but didn't help

In reply to: Workaround

Thanks, tried this but didn't help.

Collapse -
This thread from Dec 2014.

In reply to: Thanks, tried this but didn't help

If someone kept at it for years that's a sign this area is broken badly.

My advice is to make it a warranty issue now. And if the maker fails, start the refund/return process. There are other companies that want the sale.

Collapse -
Answer
Netflix problem

Hey, I had a similar problem. If you open the smart hub and highlight the Netflix app and hold down the center button it will open a drop down. From that select update and follow the steps.

Collapse -
Answer
Can I get warranty replacement? - Has never worked at all.

I wish I saw this post before I bought the 65UNJS9500. I upgraded from 65UNJS6700 which ran Netflix 4K fine. Haven't been able to run Netflix 4K since. Tried all (I think) suggestions here. Reset Smart Hub, powered off, set DNS manually to 8.8.8.8., manually entered date/time = no difference. My internet speed is perfect 801ac at 50 Mbps steady. I can run Amazon UHD and Netflix Non 4K. My set up is DirectTV (Genie 54 with external hard drive) and wireless connection to solid internet via TimeWarner.

Netflix keeps saying give it a day or two they are aware. Samsung Elite Service says they are working on it. I feel lied to seeing this thread. Can I "demand" a replacement under warranty? This does appear to be more Samsung issue than Netflix IMHO.

Collapse -
Depends on state.

In reply to: Can I get warranty replacement? - Has never worked at all.

But if a product is in warranty and it fails to perform you could go for full refund.

Collapse -
(NT) Same here

Collapse -
same here

I have the same issue with my 65js9500. Get the same error when attempting to stream Netflix in 4k. Have an older 65F9000 that streams 4k Netflix just fine. I just bought my 65js9500 today so I still have 30 days to return if it doesn't get fixed soon.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.