Samsung forum

General discussion

NETFLIX, BLUE RAY LIVE

by weezracen / July 1, 2009 1:13 PM PDT

Just bought a ln52b750 a big selling point for me was the connection capabilities. My question is, is there or is there a plan to be able to watch streaming movies via NETFLIX in blue ray quality? I think I have seen something called blue ray live by netflix? Or am I dreaming because that would be sweet!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NETFLIX, BLUE RAY LIVE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NETFLIX, BLUE RAY LIVE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NETFLIX, BLUE RAY LIVE
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 1, 2009 3:50 PM PDT
In reply to: NETFLIX, BLUE RAY LIVE

weezracen,

At this point, considering bandwidth vs. Blu-Ray capabilities (25-50 gigs per disc), I don't think that Blu-Ray quality streaming will be available. Not to say that high-definition quality won't be acheived, but I think it would be safe to suggest not to that level of quality.

Netflix is offering Blu-Ray options for an additional fee for titles that are available on Blu-Ray, but those are for mailed discs and not streaming.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thankx
by weezracen / July 1, 2009 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: NETFLIX, BLUE RAY LIVE

So with this tv you are able to watch streaming movies from netflix tho. Thank you this is what I was looking for. Yeah think about the whole blue ray quality thing to self and I did think it was possible myself.

Collapse -
Thankx
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 2, 2009 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Thankx

weezracen,

No, the television isn't going to give you the ability to play Netflix. The Blu-Ray players will allow you to stream Netflix, but the televisions don't have that capability built in.

--HDTech

Collapse -
wich one???
by weezracen / July 2, 2009 10:26 AM PDT

Wich blu ray player??

Collapse -
wich one???
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 2, 2009 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: wich one???

weezracen,

Any of the 2009 models:

BD-P1600 (requires purchase of wireless adapter)
BD-P3600 (adapter included)
BD-P4600 (adapter included)

As well as our Blu-Ray Home Theater systems that are 2009 models. If you have questions, please let me know and I'll be happy to help out.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you
by weezracen / July 2, 2009 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: wich one???

Thankx bro!!!!!!!1

Collapse -
Netflix question
by lales27 / July 2, 2009 9:28 PM PDT

What is it in the Blu-ray players that allows the Netflix capability that's missing from the LN52B750?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Netflix question
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 3, 2009 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Netflix question

lales27,

The licensing for the actual application. Netflix is allowing some content units (Like Blu-Ray players or game consoles) to offer the feature as an additional bonus. At this time, it's not a feature that Samsung televisions themselves offer.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Is it woth getting
by weezracen / July 3, 2009 3:54 PM PDT

Is this something worth getting I mean quality wise? I have comcast high speed.

Collapse -
Is it woth getting
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 4, 2009 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Is it woth getting

weezracen,

I use mine at home with DSL, which is slower (thus image quality suffers a little on HD, but looks great on the SD TV), but at this point, I believe Netflix has the license to stream about 1000 movies.

Is it "worth getting"? I'll leave that to the forum members. As for myself, I find myself watching a lot of great 80's sitcoms, The Office Seasons 1-4, and some pretty recent releases that I can watch while I wait for the mailed DVDs that aren't avalable for streaming. Check out NetFlix (log in) and see which titles you might like are available to stream instantly. They have a blue or green "Play" button on the movie icon.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Not to beat a dead horse...
by lales27 / July 4, 2009 5:30 AM PDT

So the inability to stream Netflix (or whatever) in Samsung TV is not a technical limitation, but a licensing one?

HDTech - If the above is true (please correct if not), would it be safe to assume that apart from licensing issues, the new B750 series are technically able to access and playback streaming movies - whether from Netflix, Amazon or even Apple (assuming they licensed access to their iTunes store)?

I'll still be getting one of the Netflix enabled blu-ray players shortly, but it's still good info to have.

Collapse -
Not to beat a dead horse...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 4, 2009 7:27 AM PDT

lales27,

This isn't beating a dead horse. This is clarifying questions that I invited. Happy

I don't have a definitive answer on that, and if Netflix wants to develop a widget, this is something that they'd have to trial and error to find out. Considering the 2009 Blu-Ray players were designed to have this feature available before the product hit the stores (and the televisions weren't necessarily), I would say that it's not likely that we'd double-license two products with the same feature in the same category. It could happen, but I don't know if there is development for that.

The Blu-Ray player turns the stream into a video signal and then passes the video signal to the television. I'm not sure if the television itself has the hardware ability to do that.

I'll see if I can find out.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks HDTech!
by lales27 / July 4, 2009 2:16 PM PDT

Interesting point about double licensing. Let us know what you find out.

Collapse -
yes please do
by weezracen / July 5, 2009 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks HDTech!

Yes please do this got every interesting. Thank you samsung man!

Collapse -
Just checking
by weezracen / July 13, 2009 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: yes please do

I am guessing that you never found anything out on this topic? I am looking at getting a samsung d-bp 3600? Player anyway but I would still like to here your findings tho.

Collapse -
WHY?????
by Matt832 / July 5, 2009 6:20 AM PDT

Exactly why are ne not getting a Netflix widget??? That is one of the main reasons I bought my LN40b650. It was advertised as such and the LG sets already have it.

If we are not getting the Netflix feed I will become a very vocal Samsung hater. There are MANY other brands out there, and while I like the picture on my Samsung TVs I will definitely point as many people as possible in other directions. Say it isn't so.

Collapse -
yes why?????
by weezracen / July 5, 2009 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: WHY?????

+1 on what he said. If I had known this is might of bought a lg who knows may be my ln52b750 will be going back!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
WHY?????
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 5, 2009 1:52 PM PDT

Matt832,

It could be that I overlooked something.

I didn't say anything definitively - I offered to look into the issue. Please wait on the threats until at least after I explore the issue a little. I totally appreciate your participation here, so let me see what facts I can dig up.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Please check into this...
by Matt832 / July 5, 2009 2:56 PM PDT

Ok, just that the issue gets me mad. To be honest a big deal was made of the widgets, and after 3 months of owning the set they are to put it bluntly- crap. I have no desire to play sudoco, or wath junk videos. The news feeds amount to blurbs with no content, the feeds on my A650 are much better than the stuff on the B650. The only widget I use at all is the Poker game, and that is hardly worth the extra expense to go with the 650 model over the lesser models.

I want some serious,stuff like Netflix, Showtime, CBS, or the other stuff touted on the widgets site. Samsung is prominently displayed on that site telling ht world that your TVs will do this stuff. Have you seen that site?

I have written directly to Samsung on the website and to Netflix expressing my displeasure with the situation, to date neither has returned my mail.

Collapse -
Please check into this...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 14, 2009 4:13 PM PDT

Matt832,

I understand your position. Unfortunately, I can't jump the gun on official announcements until they are made by someone else. Widgets are in the works, however, and there was an announcement made today:

http://www.twice.com/article/315166-Samsung_Blockbuster_Ink_Digital_Content_Deal.php

I can't speak on Netflix, but to say that the presence of one means that another won't be coming is like saying ABC can't join in because CBS signed up. There are individual agreements made that I can't discuss here. But widgets are becoming available this year, and our televisions have the ability to add new ones as they are authored.

That's the best I can give at this point.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Sorry, no intention to beat you up...
by Matt832 / July 15, 2009 2:42 AM PDT

I appreciate your input on the subject, and I am sorry if I was a little argumentative in some of my comments. The fact is I paid a premium for this feature and to date no one other than you has responded to any of my inquiries. The money I spent on this feature seems to be wasted. I guess what I hope is that you forward our comments to those who are more involved with this issue.

I'm sure you heard about customer satisfaction, and an unhappy customer will tell a large number of people about their issues, while a happy customer will likely only tell a few people. The fact that we are here indicates we are more involved with our products than the average person and as such tend to be more vocal. We are the one our friends and family turn to for advice and we tend to frequent many web forums so a little information is helpful in offsetting a negative feeling toward a product or manufacturer. Since owning my Pn50A650 and being very happy with it I have been very vocal in my support for the Samsung product line. As of late, mainly due to this issue my support has been wavering.

I guess a lot of my frustration stems from the fact that LG owners have had the Netflix widget for some time now and there is silence from Samsung on the subject.

Collapse -
Sorry, no intention to beat you up...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 15, 2009 10:10 AM PDT

Matt832,

No worries.

I understand the frustration. Netflix and Pandora have been, up until recently, exclusive features on our Blu-Ray players, and this was long before other "widgets" were available for many other manufacturers. So to expect the same widget to be applied to the televisions is understandable, and the fact that it's not there, the disappointment is also understandable.

Widgets, in and of themselves, are emerging technologies. Before last year, nobody was doing any (or significant) amount of widgets. This year, they're incredibly popular, and our television's platform is ready to host the technology. That said, it should be understood that not all widgets will be available from all manufacturers, and that agreements and programming are part of the emergence.

As of yesterday, we announced a deal with Blockbuster. I can't speak to the other widgets until they are announced, but there are more planned. What and when is something I can't go into.

I appreciate your view, and I will be passing this upward as a request for that widget.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you.
by weezracen / July 17, 2009 5:07 AM PDT

Thankx samsung man that info makes me feel good! Sorry to be a pest as well!

Collapse -
Agreed - We need the Netflix Widget!
by HokieSkeptic / July 29, 2009 6:45 AM PDT

I agree with the frustration voiced here. I paid a premium to buy the Internet@TV-enabled LN52B750 television. The vaguely worded statements from Samsung and Yahoo strongly implied that Netflix widget was going to be made available very soon for Internet@TV-enabled TVs. We need it!

While I am very unhappy with the Widgets, the TV is otherwise fantastic. I just feel like I paid several hundred $$ extra for features I will never be happy with.

Samsung guy - thank you for paying attention to this thread, and please impress upon those you work with/for that the demand is great for this. I would love to be a loyal Samsung customer for the sake of image quality, but if your features do not keep up with your promises, I cannot remain loyal. I've posted to this effect in my Amazon review, and I would love to update my review with a positive outcome!

Collapse -
Agreed - We need the Netflix Widget!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 29, 2009 6:26 PM PDT

HokieSkeptic,

Well, I want to address your concerns, and some of the inflammatory accusations that have been posted towards Samsung regarding the widgets.

Part of it may be my fault by suggesting one way or another about a particular widget, and I take responsibility for that. I don't know either way until it is released. If people want to cite other examples of TVs that were advertised and released with a certain widget/feature, that's fine. We won't always be the "first out of the gate". We've had the Netflix widget on some of our Blu-Ray players in the 2008 lineup, and I'm pretty sure we were the first with it on a mass produced unit for consumers to purchase. We have Pandora on all of our Blu-Ray players this year. We've been on the forefront of many of the "extras" technologies and these partnerships bring value to the products.

Our widgets aren't necessarily limited to the ones listed by Yahoo. I'm personally going to be beta testing a widget that was announced back in January in a few weeks, which should release a few weeks later if testing goes well, and this widget took a long time in development because of the wild amount of companies involved. I've worked with the alpha version of it, and it's really quite amazing even in the development phase.

Many of these widgets aren't just "thrown together", they're designed with a huge number of agreements, legal contracts and technology that requires approval from all parties involved. Some will require an additional cost (Netflix account, for instance) and others will be free to use. But these take months, and it's only been a few months since the release of this year's products.

They're coming. Wait until you're satisfied until you update the review - I fully support that. But let's not completely write off the restaurant until the meal is served. It's quite likely that it might be worth the wait.

I really think the tide will turn where I'll be fielding posts from the opposite direction - from people who are angry that we're not going to offer the widgets on the television they would have paid more money for "if they only knew". That's my prediction.

--HDTech

Collapse -
RE: Agreed - We need the Netflix Widget!
by HokieSkeptic / July 30, 2009 1:35 AM PDT

Thank you for the feedback! Like I said in my original post, it is really great that you are posting on this site to keep the persnickety geeks like myself happy. If you win people like us over, the dozen or more non-techies that seek our advice on tech purchases will get glowing recommendations for your products - after we've been satisfied. It is good to see that Samsung knows this and reaches out to us.

Collapse -
Thank you
by weezracen / July 30, 2009 2:09 AM PDT

Thank you samsung tech man! That was grate info. I bought this tv in the hopes that widgets are going to be a big thing! Not that I was not a little upset when I learned that they do not have net flix yet but I was just itching for it as well. But like I said I bought this tv with the hopes and belief that widgets will be a big thing that is Y I spent the extra hundreds of $$. So as of now my plan is right no track. I know good things take time and thank you for all your hard work and all those involved in the development of widgets and what not. I am very very happy with this down right awsome tv and new up coming widgets just give me something to look forward to. Keep up the good work! Please keep this thread posted with any new news about widgets ect.... Thankx once again. weezer

Collapse -
Update?
by steveverone / November 21, 2009 11:41 AM PST

I think you owe us all an update on the Netlix Widget. You previously we sighting that the delay might be from slow development or the technology not being there. We know that the widget is out there, and released by LG, and the technology is there, so pretty clear to us that we are down to a licensing issue...

Collapse -
Update?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 25, 2009 6:55 PM PST
In reply to: Update?

steveverone,

Here are the widgets we've added. Netflix isn't there, and I don't have any further information on any specific widgets.

http://www.samsung.com/us/internetTV/

Let's not forget that this was not an advertised widget on Samsung televisions. People have stated that it was, and people who say that they have proof "still owe me" pictures showing marketing materials showing such.

One person did email me a horribly photoshopped picture with a Netflix Logo on some of our actual marketing materials. That doesn't count, but a few of us had a good chuckle at the attempt.

--HDTech

Collapse -
???
by steveverone / November 26, 2009 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: Update?

You have completely missed the mark on my posts.

I never claimed that it was advertised. I am just criticizing Samsung for not stepping up to meet what their competitors are already offering, and looking for an answer to - Will it ever happen?

Also, if it is not ever coming I want someone to admit the real reason, since we know it is not a tech limitation.

Until these questions are answered, Samsung and Netflix still get a fail...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!