The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Netflix Blu Ray Price increase

by afroloq / March 30, 2009 4:37 AM PDT

Needless to say that I am pissed...it's bad enough that you pay almost 10 to 15 dollars more for blu ray than you do regular DVD so netflix is finding another way to alienate the tech? Read on:

Dear Aitch,

You are receiving this email because you added unlimited Blu-ray access to your account for $1 a month. The number of Blu-ray titles has increased significantly and will continue to do so. As we buy more, you are able to choose from a rapidly expanding selection of Blu-ray titles. And as you've probably heard, Blu-ray discs are substantially more expensive than standard definition DVDs.

As a result, the monthly charge for Blu-ray access is increasing for most plans and will now vary by plan. The charge for monthly Blu-ray access on your 4 DVDs at-a-time (Unlimited) plan will increase from $1 a month to $5 a month. The price of your 4 DVDs at-a-time (Unlimited) plan is not changing and remains at $23.99 a month.

The new charge for Blu-ray access will be automatically added to your next billing statement on or after April 27, 2009 and will be referenced in your Membership Terms and Details.

If you wish to continue unlimited Blu-ray access for $5 a month, you don't need to do anything. If not, you can remove Blu-ray access anytime by visiting Your Account.

If you have questions about this change or need any assistance, please call us anytime at 1-888-923-0898.

-The Netflix Team

So, if anyone here is also doing blu ray service thru netflix, how long do you plan on keeping the service?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netflix Blu Ray Price increase
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netflix Blu Ray Price increase
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No change here
by Renegade Knight / March 30, 2009 4:52 AM PDT

Most of my equipment is standard def. Couldn't enjoy BluRay HD if I wanted. Wouldn't pay a premium over DVD even if every piece of equipment that I had was HD. From what I hear DVD quality is good enough on HD TV's and I'm not going to enjoy the show more in higher def than 480p and even if I were I'd not be enjoying it 25% more.

Collapse -
See ya Netflix.....
by runback22 / March 30, 2009 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: No change here

How freaking stupid does Netflix think we are? Blu Ray movie prices are falling, not rising. How in the hell can they justify this? Screw you Netflix, I have other options besides you. If it isnt throttling my account, its this crap. Screw you many times over. Needless to say, you lost me as a customer.

Collapse -
Netflix Blu-Ray excessive price increase.
by usafwso / March 30, 2009 6:10 AM PDT

Just received my notice from Netflix regarding the Blu Ray premium from one dollar to five dollars a month.

My reply was simply to cancel my Netflix account. End of story!

As an early adopter of the BD format, I am starting to question if the format is too little too late.

Collapse -
FAIL.
by robstak / March 30, 2009 11:18 AM PDT

and the problem is. this price increase may harken even less watch it now HD movies...... just think about it...

Collapse -
I'd be happy to pay the 4 dollar increase
by minimalist / March 30, 2009 4:01 PM PDT

IF Netflix would get their act together and supply their ditribution centers with enough blu-ray discs so I don't get a queue full of "long waits".

Oh, and ever since their "new and improved" system for shipping me discs went into effect last December the "available now" discs at the top of the queue are constantly getting passed over for discs 4, 5 and 6 spots down the list because the ones at the top are in a distribution center across the country. (ie, we are buying fewer discs yet we are going to spin this as a "feature"). What the heck is the point of a queue if Netlix is just going to randomly pick movies out of it and ignore the order you have established?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?