Samsung forum

General discussion

Netflix App on BD-C5500 - broken link

by brianscottpettigrew / October 2, 2010 1:53 PM PDT

I recently purchased a BD-C5500 and last week an auto update installed the Netflix App to the Menu. The Red Nexflix Icon is nonfunctional on the Menu screen and when I click on the Netflix icon located in the Internet@TV page the screen goes black and the only button that works on the remote control is the power button. Under the Properties tab in the Settings menu, above the button "check the speed of your internet connection" is a message that reads:

Netflix ESN:SSBD-H001-091022-000115426-1062[Deactivated]

What does this mean and how do I go about activating Netflix? We have a netflix account already and would enjoy using this service.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netflix App on BD-C5500 - broken link
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netflix App on BD-C5500 - broken link
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 4, 2010 11:30 AM PDT

brianscottpettigrew,

It sounds like there's a glitch when attempting to connect to the service.

You can go to the Netflix webpage, log in, and go to the Your Account And Help section at the top right hand corner of the webpage. Click "Manage Netflix Ready Devices an Computers" and de-activate your player if it shows up.

Power on the Blu-Ray player and attempt to connect to Netflix. You'll be prompted to enter an authorization code on the TV, and you can enter this on the www.netflix.com/activate website (stay logged in). When it connects, you should be able to access your queue.

Does that help?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by brianscottpettigrew / October 5, 2010 10:50 AM PDT

The device was never activated with Netflix and it is less than two weeks old.

As I said, the other day the device automatically updated itself and added the netflix icon to my menu page. The Icon seems to be a broken link because when I click on it the screen goes blank none of the remote control buttons work except the power button. So I always have to turn the device off and on again. Same result time after time.

Youtube, Google Maps work so I know there is no problem with the internet connection.

Do I have a defective device? should I attempt to exchange it for one that works? Was the automatically installed update not sufficient to connect the device to Netflix?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 5, 2010 3:11 PM PDT

brianscottpettigrew,

Have you tried the firmware update yet? If not, try that first.

The Netflix App has been updated several times since the initial launch, and if you still have the original firmware, updating that may solve the issue.

In the Blu-Ray's menu:

MENU > SETTINGS > SUPPORT > SOFTWARE UPGRADE
(also available on page 41 of the manual).

If you're not able to get the unit to update, or work properly after the update, I might recommend exchanging the unit. If you go past the 2 week period or return period for your device, we can fix it, but it would have to be sent in.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by brianscottpettigrew / October 6, 2010 9:18 AM PDT

I had already tried to do a software upgrade exactly as you had said but the message is that all updates have already been installed.

Is there a way I can reformat this machine so it can start from scratch and reload all the software updates. I have had the machine for just over three weeks so I would have to send it in.

Is it possible that Netflix will try to send out another update later on? Should I just wait until the next update comes around and see if that fixes it?

hmmmm, not really looking forward to sending my DVD Player back to Samsung.

Collapse -
Netflix App on BD-C5500 - broken link -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 6, 2010 10:50 AM PDT

brianscottpettigrew,

With the disc tray empty and the main menu displayed (Not Apps, but the wood-grain start up menu), press and hold the STOP button for about 10 seconds. You should see a message regarding the restart appear.

You'll have to go back in and choose your language and reconnect the unit to the Internet. Once that's complete, go into the Internet@TV section, and wait a minute. You'll be prompted that "Internet@TV will be installing updates", and the Netflix (as well as the other Apps) will be installed on the unit, with a progress bar. Once that's complete, exit out to the Main Menu and power down.

Power the unit back up, go into Internet@TV and attempt to launch the Netflix App. You should be prompted, "Are you a current subscriber", and then you can go through and activate the unit.

Does that help? Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by brianscottpettigrew / October 7, 2010 9:30 AM PDT

I reset the computer and reinstalled the updates but the screen still goes blank and disables all the buttons on the remote control when I click on the Netflix icon.

Oh well Sad

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 7, 2010 4:14 PM PDT

brianscottpettigrew,

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. I might recommend having your unit exchanged or repaired. If you need to have it repaired, you can reach the Samsung customer service center at 800-SAMSUNG.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Netflix App on BD-C5500
by brianscottpettigrew / November 6, 2010 5:11 AM PDT

You will be happy to know that last night my C5500 Blueray player prompted me to install an update and..... drum roll please.... I now have a working Netflix App!

I didn't have to go out and buy any new cable. I didn't need to send it in I just had to wait until the next available update.

Collapse -
Netflix App on BD-C5500
by brianscottpettigrew / November 6, 2010 5:11 AM PDT

You will be happy to know that last night my C5500 Blueray player prompted me to install an update and..... drum roll please.... I now have a working Netflix App!

I didn't have to go out and buy any new cable. I didn't need to send it in I just had to wait until the next available update.

Collapse -
NetFlix Installed but having the exact same issue.
by mcculb / October 16, 2010 6:22 AM PDT

Hi,

I am having the exact same issue. Netflix installed fine but it hangs with a black screen a "Stop" message on the unit itself. Any luck resloving it? I think the player, netflix install and connection is fine, just something perhaps with settings. Let me know what you find out if anything.

Collapse -
by brianscottpettigrew / October 18, 2010 12:50 PM PDT

No luck getting Netflix to work. The tech here wants me to send in my unit for repair but I have my doubts whether or not there is something wrong with the device. It seems that the update installing Netflix is faulty. I'm no wizard, just saying.

Collapse -
by mitche111 / October 29, 2010 4:37 AM PDT

Hi all,
Have the same issue, so it's not a hardware problem, for sure. I purchased the HT-C5500 over the weekend and only got chance to go online yesterday, having obtained a 15m Cat5 Ethernet cable. Well, got it online, then did it's first installation for Internet@tv and saw youtube, weather and Facebook. Tried Facebook and said it was still in development. Then it did a firmware upgrade and promptly watched the facebook app dissapear. But then the Netflix icon appear for the first time. Clicked on it and got the black screen of death with "stop" on the bluray.

Today I rang Netflix, thinking it was a membership issue. Nope, it's a Samsung problem and he transferred me straight to them. Samsung said that there was still an issue with firmware 1012.0 and that I should wait for the next update to resolve this problem. I'll hang fire on the free month trial until it's all up and running.

Collapse -
Netflix
by brianscottpettigrew / November 6, 2010 5:14 AM PDT

Collapse -
I have the exact same problem with my BD C5500
by Nikoriverag / December 15, 2010 12:24 PM PST
In reply to: Netflix

Hi, i have exactly the same problem you had. Do you know how to solve it now without the randomness of an eventual working update. I also have the same problem with pandora and blockbuster apps.

Collapse -
Netflix and Pandora don't work on BD-C550, is a fact!
by Drakoplanas / October 24, 2011 12:43 AM PDT

Hi all,
Have the same issue and same issue for Pandora, DON'T BUY this BD player.

Collapse -
Netflix and Pandora don't work on BD-C5500, is a fact!
by Drakoplanas / October 24, 2011 12:45 AM PDT

Hi all,
Have the same issue and same issue for Pandora, DON'T BUY this BD player

Collapse -
Same problem
by N3uRo / May 22, 2011 12:28 AM PDT

I have the same problem!! Black screen and it's the only app that does
this. Hulu works but Netflix doesn't and I have an account that I want
to use in my TV!!Anyone has a solution? Thanks

In my case is a LE37C650 TV.

Collapse -
Internet@TV and Netflix
by techno-q / May 22, 2011 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

You can try to reset Internet@TV. From the main Internet@TV screen go to Settings>Properties>Reset. Answer Yes/OK when the system asks if you want to reset. Once you have reset the application, go back to Internet@TV; you will have to agree to the two disclaimers again and then Internet@TV should update and download the applications again. Once the upgrade/download finishes, try Netflix. The Netflix application should then ask if you are a member or not and will give you a new authorization code. Follow the instructions; go to www.netflix.com/activate on your computer and enter the code. Once the activation is complete you should be able to use Netflix without any problems. Also a tip: Netflix does require the clock/time be properly set in the device.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Netflix
by N3uRo / May 22, 2011 6:57 AM PDT

I tried this before your post with no luck because when I reset it doesn't reinstall the apps it detects that they are already there but tomorrow I'll give another try.

Collapse -
No luck
by N3uRo / May 23, 2011 7:01 AM PDT

I tried again with no results.

Collapse -
Same
by N3uRo / June 3, 2011 10:23 PM PDT

Any help? I have still the problem and there are no tv or netflix updates available. I tried reseting the TV to default config holding the "exit" button for 10 seconds but the problem remains.

Collapse -
I have this problem too :(
by suuupaman / June 14, 2011 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Same

When installing Netflix it came up with an error message saying there was network interference and now i get the black screen when I try to run it.

Is there no way to completely reset the TV???I've tried the 10 second exit button to reset.

Collapse -
Nothing yet
by N3uRo / August 22, 2011 8:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Same

I still have the same problem. Can someone (Samsung tech) post an answer please?

Collapse -
Netflix not working on Samsung Blueray player
by RicanGen20T / September 15, 2012 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing yet

I had a similar problem with my BD D5700. Chatted with Samsung tech and after a hard reset (holding the stop button on the player for 8 sec.) then setting the country code to the US (pressing ffwd then 289, then rewind on the remote from within the smart hub screen) bring the list of countries.

Smart hub updated itself and brought finally the Netflix icon to my screen, which I didn't have before. After running Netflix, I was given an activation code for this device for me to add to my account.

Once I activated it, everything was up and running.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.