Laptops forum

Question

netbook windows error

Hi, I bought an advent 2gb ram 160gb hdd from ebay. It came pre installed with xp, but had windows 7 put over the top of it. The computer crash dumped when on the internet and it restarted (it did this twice in a row). I then clicked on techguys recovery , this just loaded a screen saying please wait and didnt do anything for 2 hours. I then tried doing it from safe mode and this started to work but then half way through stopped and my netbook restarted. It now hasn't got any windows and upon load up and instead says BOOTMGR is missing CTRL ALT DEL to restart it restarrts to bios screen and then repeats the message.

As i mentioned it came preinstalled with xp and i have my product key etc. so surely it should be able to be recovered? I don't have a cd drive on the netbook and i don't have a massive external memory drive or usb.
But if i download xp to a usb and plug it in is this likely to fix my problem. I am pulling my hair out

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: netbook windows error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: netbook windows error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have to write no.

In reply to: netbook windows error

The few netbooks we have at the office all require the recovery media if the onboard recovery fails. You would not be here if that was an option. Windows 7 would have cost you 100 for the license and having it installed possibly another 100 so why the rush to burn up your 200 buck investment?

-> XP on USB? Microsoft and the maker never issued that or a method to do that. Why are you creating a new install method?
bob

Collapse -
Answer
Hmm, no discs, no DVD/CD drive, no backup, can't boot.

Have I got this about right? If you got an XP install disc, you MIGHT be able to reinstall XP if you can find the drivers, but I have to tell you that you're in a pretty deep hole with no way to boot, no discs, and no backup. Even if you get XP installed, you'll be running with an unsupported operating system since MS pulled the plug on it 4/8. Here's what I'd do. First I'd go to a store that sells computers and buy an external DVD/CD drive for around $30. Then I'd find a working computer and download the Linux Mint ISO file from linuxmint.com/download and burn it to a blank DVD. Take the DVD to your computer, plug in the DVD/CD drive, and boot from the DVD. In about 3 minutes you'll be up and running with Linux Mint which is fully operational with Internet connectivity, Firefox, and LibreOffice up and running. Linux Mint is a supported operating system and is free.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Your netbook

You have a mini netboot PC. You need an ext. USB drive in order to load any discs, as flash drive will be difficult because its another way but having the disc is far easier. On top of that since you mention Win 7, you need actually Win 7 *starter* version to be more capable with that system. Its going to ba PITA otherwise, but it can be done. If you didn't slect it if you have the Win 7 any other version and tried to load it, I hope you selected the "laptop" install in order to minimize what you need, then select the drivers from the Advent support website. HP, Acer, Dell all used the ACER engine(guts) model made, just rebadged as your OEM Advent brand. So, any drivers will have to come from Advent, then Acer, use the bios to report what it displays as the best help.

As for fixing the NTLDR problem, you need the Win 7 disc and do a "repair" from the menu when you get the ext. USB disc drive and have the right disc that installed whatever version of Win 7. remember, its best to have the Win 7 Starter version.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.