Laptops forum

General discussion

Netbook help!

by hballard / August 31, 2010 12:02 AM PDT

Hello,
I am totally new to netbooks and have only had my laptop for about 1 year. I am NOT a Techinal person when it comes to computers. I can't tell you what the difference between a gigabit and a megabit is. LOL
When I have a question I have to get my kids to come and help me! It is sad I know.
But I am wanting to buy my kids Notebooks or netbooks for christmas. I have two 15 yr old boys and an 8 yr old girl. They will all get their own.
My question is can they use a netbook with a wireless printer to print school assignments.
Can I block their computer somehow so they don't get on adult websites?
and last question...i have a internet card for my laptop...will they be able to pickup that signal on their netbooks? or will i have to go to a wireless motum?

they are smart as can be on computers but I do not allow them on my computer, because it is for work not their games.
Thanks for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netbook help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netbook help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: netbook help
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2010 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Netbook help!

A netbook is just the same as a laptop, but it's smaller, lighter and slower, it has a keyboard that's unsuitable to type on, a screen that's too small for everyday use, it usually doesn't have a CD- or DVD-drive and it's hardly suitable to play games.

It's hardly imagineable somebody would buy one as their primary machine. But it's nice if you go backpacking and want to check your mail, provided you can find a hotspot for the Internet access.

Most netbooks come with Windows XP, although you might find others with Linux or Windows 7.

So to answer your questions:
1. Yes, you can use it with a wireless printer (provided it has a driver for the OS on the netbook).
2. Yes, you can use the same parental control options as on your own laptop. That's totally independent of the hardware. But don't expect too much from that.
3. A wireless modem/router is a very good thing to use to connect to the Internet from 2 or 3 or 4 laptops simultaneously.

Kees

Collapse -
wireless
by drksvant / September 28, 2010 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Netbook help!

Yes, you will be able to use a wireless printer for printing documents. most notebooks and netbooks sold today have built in wireless capabilities. no worries on setting that up, that must be found on the manual. If you need information more about handling laptops go to this link: http://laptoptroubleshoot.com/

Now for blocking internet access, I totally agree with you on that. Your kids should always be protected from violence in the internet. The internet is a great learning tool and it can be made safe provided you have the right tools at hand. follow this link for more information about blocking internet contents: http://blockinginternetaccess.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?