General discussion

Netbook Glitches

Hi, I'm new to the CNET forums, and I just got a new netbook from Acer. I've had it for a few weeks and it's an Aspire One with an Atom n450 1.66ghz and 512kb cache, 1gb Memory and 160 gb hd.
I decided to make a forum to record the glitches that I've been having (since they are relatively minor).

let's see.
first of all, don't expect this computer to win any races for speed. The second, and more serious, (or more annoying), is when I play music on the hard drive (it doesn't really seem to do it when I stream music as far as I can tell) it glitches and rrrrrrrrr for a second. Then it continues playing. I have another laptop,windows 95 that has 400 mhz processing power and it does the same thing. lol. That was just for comparison. But Is there any fix for audio glitches? It mostly just annoys me and hurts my ears a little when I'm on the bus riding to school.
So I guess what I'm asking is, Have I found a limitation of the processor?
Email me your replies or post.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Netbook Glitches
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Netbook Glitches
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I can compare 3 netbooks.

We use them at the office for demos, emergency trips and spares so I have 3 in my office to use or send out on a demo or other task.

The usual pause is some antivirus or other app scanning the machine for what ever reason. I ejected the supplied antivirus for Google's PC Tools Spyware Doctor then configured it to not scan automatically. We can do that when we want to avoid slowdowns.

We also bumped the RAM to 2GB which helped.
Bob

- Collapse -
Spyware Doctor drastically slowed down my netbook

Microsoft Security Essentials gives occasional error messages on my computer since I don't stay online. I thought I would try Spyware Doctor from Google. It slowed my ASUS 1201 netbook, with Win7 and 2GB RAM, to the point it was unusable. I restored the computer to a point prior to the install. I assume MS Security Essentials scans automatically without such a drastic slowdown.

- Collapse -
Makes sense.

Anytime you install more than one protection you may see such effects. Read the CNET Spyware forum to find that advice and observation.
Bob

- Collapse -
MS Security Essentials

I uninstalled MS Security Essentials before installing Spyware Doctor.

- Collapse -
I'm left to guess

That a background scan was running. I've found many folk slam all the antivirus names over "it slowed down my PC" and once we looked at what it was doing in the background, we understood why the machine slowed down.

I did note above the change I make to avoid the slowdown but give me the option to let it scan at my convenience.

My other guess would be other interactions. You might have to look at a HIJACKTHIS log file and research each line to see what it does.
Bob

- Collapse -
Final comment

The Spyware Doctor scan had completed. What I mean by slow down is that the mouse would barely move. Anyway, there is no slow down while MS Security Essentials scans. Maybe Spyware Doctor doesn't work well with my 4GB ReadyBoost SD card in the computer card reader slot.

- Collapse -
Ahh, I don't have that.

I found readyboost to not work well and no longer use that feature. Therefore we will not experience problems if there are any.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info