Laptops forum

General discussion

Netbook buying advice - one with dual core, HDMI, & bluetth

by afromosia / January 26, 2011 2:27 PM PST

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a netbook for primarily writing and internet.

My initial choice was the Asus 1001PXD-MU17 for it's features and price point (~$300), but have done more research and am now leaning to getting one with a dual core processor, HDMI, and Bluetooth.

I have been looking primarily at Asus, but open to other suggestions. Any suggestions for a well-rated model that has these features. I'm hoping to stay in the $300 - $375 range.. I'm in Canada, they tend to be be slightly more $ here.

Thanks so much! I'm getting tired of all the specs I have been poring over!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netbook buying advice - one with dual core, HDMI, & bluetth
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netbook buying advice - one with dual core, HDMI, & bluetth
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you share what the use is?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2011 12:37 AM PST

For example one Netbook buyer wanted to play movies over the HDMI at 1080p. So far the only netbook I've seen do that is ION based. Example at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220761

It handily blows past your budget as well as does not have dual core.

As long was no one knows what the unit will be used for, the forum can't help you avoid a BIG MISTAKE.

Bob

Collapse -
oops
by afromosia / January 27, 2011 1:59 AM PST

yeah, as mentioned... main reason I'm buying it is for writing & internet (research, email). I not a big gamer or need the better graphics that some of them offer. I'm not a major techie, so I've been learning as I go with all this research.

I guess I was looking at having the option of watching a movie through it (download thru Netflix, for e.g.), thus the HDMI option. I think you can do this with VGA & another cord too (for both video & audio)?... just thought it might be a better option to have HDMI?

I was looking at having the option of using my Iphone as a modem, if I had trouble getting online when out and about... and I was thinking that the bluetooth is what I needed for this?

I guess all in all, I was trying to keep options open, but maybe asking for too much at this price point? I'm basically looking for something that can chug along well with what I'm doing, allow me to watch the occasional move/view pics on my tv, and allow me to use my iphone as a modem (if needed).

But hey, I'm new to this, so am very open to comments & suggestions. Thanks!!

Collapse -
one more thing
by afromosia / January 27, 2011 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: oops

and another point, something reliable (have heard conflicting things about Acer from techie friends). I don't have a lot of $$$, so I would like to have something I can depend on.

thanks again!

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2011 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: oops

I can't give any netbook at this price point a nod or find such. It's not made at this price to do what you ask.

Again, playing content at full screen even on netbooks with dedicated GPU's (the ION is an exception) has found that full screen 1080p or VGA is laggy or worse.

As to quality, these are debateable. I've seen units last years and some months. While I don't find it's a quality issue some want a durable unit for 299.

In fact why are you not getting a 299 buck Dell?
Bob

Collapse -
advice on these...
by afromosia / January 27, 2011 12:58 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry no.

ok, any advice on which of these to go with??

1. Acer AOD255E (has dual core, 250G priced nicely at $309.99 at Costco... while their
stock tends to be "older" their 2yr warranty is tempting)

2. ASUS Eee PC 1001PXD-MU17 (the lower N455 processor, but rated very well, 250 GB,
bluetooth and same price as above, and a great look compared to others... not that I
would want to base it on that)

3. ASUS Eee PC 1015PED-PU17 (N475 processor, 250GB, bluetooth & good battery life, well-
rated) A little more @ 349.99

4. SAMSUNG NF210 (dual core, 250GB, bluetooth, good battery life) for $299.99

Have not seen any Dells for ~ $299 on Canadian sites.

I know you may not be familiar with these models, but thought I would put in the basic info) Unless there is anything else you think I should make sure someone has on their netbook???

thanks so much... hope I gave enough info,

Jen

Collapse -
Is full screen video a requirement?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2011 1:11 PM PST
In reply to: advice on these...

1. This has an Intel 3150. I have some netbook with that and Hulu crawls at full screen, stutters. Let's call it a fail.

2. Another Intel UMA. Pass.

3. Ditto.

Sorry but you seem to not be getting the message. For now you must avoid the usual Intel GMA for Netflix and HDMI. You will feel burned.
Bob

Collapse -
I put HDMI thoughts aside with those selections
by afromosia / January 27, 2011 1:52 PM PST

Bob,

I wasn't looking at those for HDMI capabilities (from your last comment - I took your advice). I'm focusing on my priorities of using it for writing and using internet. From that standpoint, do you have a suggestion/comment on those?

Collapse -
If we dismiss Netflix full screen play.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2011 12:43 AM PST

Then we have to start a new discussion. Any of the above are fine.

YOU only need to try them out and see if you can stand using a netbook for hours. I know this is a BAD IDEA. The number of folk that tried to use such instead of a laptop then discovered their hands were cramping, their backs ached from slumping over and more.

Unless you use a netbook now, you should reconsider the usual 299 buck Dell.
Bob

Collapse -
$299 buck Dell?
by afromosia / January 28, 2011 12:54 AM PST

Ok, do you have a link to these 299 buck Dells?

"Unless you use a netbook now, you should reconsider the usual 299 buck Dell."
- so these are laptops as opposed to netbooks?

jen

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2011 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: $299 buck Dell?
Collapse -
thanks
by afromosia / January 28, 2011 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: No.

thanks for all your help Bob.

I appreciate your advice and warning about the netbooks, but this is what I am asking about and plan to buy, after doing MUCH research looking at them in person and online. Yes, I have seen the cheaper laptops, but as I mentioned initially, I am looking specifically for a netbook.

While I have spent many hours doing MY research, I was hoping for a techie's greater knowledge in this area to help give a sounding board and prevent the "I wish I had known!" syndrome. I don't have a lot of cash and am trying my best to spend my money, for what I want, wisely.

Thanks for clarifying the HDMI and what was needed to really use it, and for giving me some fair warnings.

Collapse -
Are refurbs an option?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2011 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

I've picked up refurbs at times from newegg.com and geeks.com.

Collapse -
would rather get new
by afromosia / January 28, 2011 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Are refurbs an option?

have not had good experience with refurb electronics, would rather buy new.

Collapse -
Got the Perfect one!

Try checking out the Toshiba Satellite C650 ($379).

Delivering essential features at an attractive price, the 15.6" Satellite? C650 laptop is built for families, students, and small-office workers who want a full-size portable PC that can tackle life's basics.

Here are some more specs:
Screen
15.6" (1366x768) HD
Processor
2.3 GHz AMD V Series Processor v140
RAM
3 GB DDR3
Storage
250 GB HDD 5400 RPM

What do you think?

Kevin
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
too big, bordering on too much $
by afromosia / January 28, 2011 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: Got the Perfect one!

It would be great if I was looking for a laptop, but I would like a netbook, closer to $300 preferably.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!