General discussion

Netbook Batteries confusion

I seek a cheap car lighter-socket source charger for my Gateway LT2021. The manual says the AC charger gives out 18 volts, The AC charger cover says it gives 19 Volts, the battery pack says it runs at 11.1 volts. An available ACER car charger product seems ok as to the 19 volts, but i wonder if the plug is right for my Gateway LT (which Gateway says is an Acer product anyway). Has anyone got the inside facts on this, any experience or knowledge on substituting these products?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Netbook Batteries confusion
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Netbook Batteries confusion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Yes.

I design electronics and can not fit all you would need into this small space. So let's keep it simple. Use the parts listed for your machine from its maker and it will be fine.
Bob

- Collapse -
Widely variant Battery management voltages

Thanks Bob ! I did have 2 years of college level electronics so please don't spare the details!
I can understand a slightly higher charging voltage than the nominal 11.1 V rating of the battery, but 19 volts seems to threaten overloading.
Unless that is the maximum of a range interactively controlled by a chip in the charger.-Your recommendation is OK safe for most consumers but...
Sadly the maker does not offer a dedicated car charger for Gateway LT 2021 series Netbook hence my quest.....

- Collapse -
Let's keep it simple.

The 19 volts should be for the laptop and it's circuits to manage the battery could use some other voltage than the battery voltage.

It's that simple.

A simple example. My car battery is 12Volts (yes we can discuss that it is not 12 Volts) but the charger plugs into some 110VAC socket!
Bob

- Collapse -
netbook battey management

Thanks again Bob!
1.So the charging current and voltage management chip is in the netbook itself , and if you deliver it a clean correct polarity 19VDC all is well; "trust Gateway!"

2.I note that some of the car 12V in 19V out chargers claim to have interactive charging V&A control dependent on the detected condition of the battery, so it might turn out to be less than simple with two interactive systems interacting with a third, the battery.
With this computer I will sure steer away from using an interactive charger!.

- Collapse -
Which is why

I have to keep it simple. We let the makers list what works with what and keep that parts that work together labeled and together.

We never want to read or experience what happens when we plug in our Dell laptop adapter into our Sony laptop!
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info