General discussion

net send not working (xp pro sp2)

hello,
i am using winXp SP2. I am not able to send and receive messages using net send feature provided. I have my windows firewall enabled. i even tried disabling my firewall but in vain.
can ne1 please tell me how to enable net send on Windows Xp SP2.
thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: net send not working (xp pro sp2)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: net send not working (xp pro sp2)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: net send not working (xp pro sp2)

Because of all the issues surrounding the MESSENGER SERVICE, not only was the firewall enabled, but the service is disabled as well.

You may be sending, but who will listen?

Bob

- Collapse -
- Collapse -

1. The article [Q839018] warns that after you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you may not be able to send or to receive messages using the NET SEND command and occurs since the Messenger Service used to send messages is disabled by default on computers with Microsoft Windows XP SP2, and that it should not be enabled. Any programs or services that depend on either the disabled Alerter or Messenger services in Windows XP SP2 runs as expected but messages to communicate are not sent, [Q843021].
"Terminal Services" must be enabled to receive messages using NET SEND.

2. You receive an "An error occurred while sending a message to <ComputerName>" error message when you run the net send command to send a message to a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer (Q87846Cool.

3. Supplemental reading: "How to turn on the Remote Desktop Sharing feature of Windows NetMeeting in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Q878451)."

CNET Forums

Forum Info