The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Net 'Neutrality' for dummies?

by sbcmyrtle07 / June 28, 2006 1:28 AM PDT

I have a myspace account with about 19,000 friends in the Seattle Area. I like to talk about things going on locally, and things that I feel people need to know about (like inviting everyone to check out "An Inconvenient Truth")

Most of my friends don't really understand whats going on so they don't really care. I would love to make a post about "Net Neutrality" to help educate my friends. Does anyone know any good sites that explain and break it down for people to easily understand whats going on with Net Neutrality and the dangers if the Telcoms have their way.

myspace.com/alexgarcia

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Net 'Neutrality' for dummies?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Net 'Neutrality' for dummies?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Balanced argument . . .
by frank1220 / June 28, 2006 2:41 AM PDT

One thing you might also want to do is present a few sites, to show more than just the dangers of the telcos. There are also dangers to regulation. The biggest cause for a lot of debate is that there isn't a perfect solution that will make everyone happy. So I'd recommend finding a few sites that work, and then letting people decide which (or neither) side they support.

Cheers, and good luck!

Collapse -
Net neutrality is corporate welfare for dot-com billionaires
by cardsbb9 / June 28, 2006 4:25 AM PDT

Found at: http://www.upi.com/Hi-Tech/view.php?StoryID=20060628-120015-1435r

Experts speak out against 'Net neutrality'
By ELLIOT SMILOWITZ
UPI Correspondent

WASHINGTON, June 28 (UPI) -- Several experts weighed in against Net neutrality, calling it unnecessary regulation that hinders market forces at Tuesday's Wireless Communications Association International forum.

"Net neutrality is corporate welfare for dot-com billionaires," said Scott Cleland, founder and president of Precursor LLC and chairman of NetCompetition.org, at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington.

Cleland said that Net-neutrality legislation would hinder broadband access providers' ability to offer more than one service.

"How does a new entrant succeed? You differentiate and you innovate," he said. "(Net neutrality) is saying you have to have the same price, and the same terms and conditions."

Hal Singer, president of Criterion Economics, said that preventing access providers from offering a tiered system is contrary to market economics.

"Let the market dictate what the price of priority delivery is," he said. He noted that most online services would not have any use for priority delivery, making it a moot issue to many companies.

In addition, Singer also said that a lot of the pro-Net neutrality talk is based on misconceptions about what access providers want to do.

"The debate suggests some anti-competitive motivation from access providers," he added. "Broadband access and broadband content are compliments, rather than substitutes."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.