Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

net defense firewall port scan detected severity high.

I have the system suite 8 professional program which includes a firewall, virus protection, and spyware protection. Here is the situation. On the bottom right of my screen it says that there has been some suspicious activity that has been caught and has been put in a log. I double click on the flashing fire wall icon and it brings me to a securtiy log. It tells me the time security type severity direction protocol local ip remote host and the application involved also the count. Now this port scan has been happening at very random times but usually when it does occur they occur in very close intervals. System suite says that its a portscan of a major severity inbound from a udp protocol. the local ip is 192.168.0.115 and the remote host is 192.168.0.1 The application involved is either SYSTEM or C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe For the past about 20 times it has involved the system application. The times it has been happening are today at 5:52 5:56 6:01 6:58 6:59 7:01 7:02 7:03 7:04 and 7:05

I can backtrace it and it says the ip address of the remote host and it says that the host name is unknown. When i click on whois it says [whois.arin.net] orgname: internet assigned numbers authority orgid: IANA and the rest is city state and location of i dont know what.

I have a general understanding of computer but im not exactly sure what a port scan is other than that it figures out what ports are open.

My question is this any threat to my computer or do i have nothing to worry about. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: net defense firewall port scan detected severity high.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: net defense firewall port scan detected severity high.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Port scanner
Collapse -
should i worry

In reply to: Port scanner

do you know if this port scan is something i should worry about or not?

Collapse -
I would not worry as the firewall is doing its job...

In reply to: should i worry

and alerting you. To be 100 % sure, I would run the ShieldsUp test, only to have "peace of mind".

Collapse -
ports

In reply to: I would not worry as the firewall is doing its job...

what is the point of having ports? what do ports do? is it a bad thing if i have open ports? why do i need to know if i have open ports? Thanks.

Collapse -
Ports......

In reply to: ports

Computer port (software)

A software port (usually just called a 'port') is a virtual data connection that can be used by programs to exchange data directly, instead of going through a file or other temporary storage location.

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_port_(software)

Computer Ports: What You Should Know to Defend Yourself

http://www.faqs.org/contrib/articles2/Computer-Ports.html

port number

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/basicnetworkingconcepts/l/bldef_port.htm

Are you safe from scanning?

http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/sec/0906sec2.html

Do I Really Need a Firewall?

Absolutely. A system without an active firewall is vulnerable to infection by a variety of malicious programs, sometimes within minutes of connecting to the Internet. Even if you're typically very careful in your computing practices, your system can still be infected by programs that scan random Internet addresses and attempt to "slip in the back door" through open ports on your computer. A firewall is necessary to keep these random intruders from hijacking or damaging your system.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/atkin_firewall.mspx

An open port is a port that is "listening".
A closed port is a port that is blocked by the firewall
Stealth port is NOT visible in the internet

Maybe you did NOT want to know 'that much" ....... nothing happens IF you do the ShieldsUp test Wink

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.