General discussion

NET 2.0 problem

I recently had to restore my computer after a major failure.
I had backed up everything using Carbonite so I was able to successfully recover all of my files and photgraphs, etc.

My problem is that when trying to download a photogarphic program my camera uses, Canon specifically their program informed me that I need to have Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework installed. I accepted.
DOTNETFX.exe began. I clicked yes and the program attempted to download I received a failure message which read;
Error 25015,. Failed to install assembly. 'C\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibilty.dll'
because of system error: 0x80131107

If it helps my computer has Windows XP Service Pack 3.
Additionally I see that in my programs files I have
.NET Framework 1.1, .NET Framework 2.0, .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and .NET Framework 4 Extended installed!
Could this be the problem?

Please help as I can't use a number of visual oriented programs I used to be able to run.

Thank you for your help

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: NET 2.0 problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: NET 2.0 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The good news is

This has been discussed before. Because of that I won't go over the long story but skip to what I do.

1. Go get the .NET removal tool and remove .NET 2.0 LINK ONLY:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

2. I then reboot and then install the latest .NET that I need. If the install fails I look at the security software of said PC and consider removal of that too. If that fails I remind myself to use an ADMIN account and scan for malware.
Bob

- Collapse -
No change

Bob,

First of all thank you very much for your suggestions.
I deleted all versions on NET with your removal tool. The I turned PCTools off.
I figured I'd Just use the program disk which came with the Canon camera because it informs the user that the program requires the .NET 2.0 to operate and asks if I'd like to install it.
I of course say yes and after all of the loading procedures it still indicates the same Error notices and cancels the download.
Honestly I don't know how to use an admin account to scan for malware so the last part of your thoughts has yet to be done.

Scott

- Collapse -
Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB976982

I know that this refers to a failure of Windows Update to install an update, but I've found that it works for other .NET annoyances as well. Print out the page and do exactly what it says to do in the order that it calls for!

HTH,

Paul
- Collapse -
Issue Handled

Paul,

I just wrote to Bob and included you in my thanks as well as offered an explanation of how Microsoft got this taken care of.
I'm sure it will be accessible for you to read too.

I just wanted to say thank you for offering your assistance with this I really do appreciate it.

Scott

- Collapse -
Try installing .NET from microsoft.com
- Collapse -
.NET 2.0

Hi Bob,

Actually I've tried this a couple of times and it doesn't work for me either.
Each time I've tried it I've received the Error25015, 0x80131107 notification.
I have Microsoft Office XP, small business and Office XP disks.
What are your thoughts on installing one of them into the computer and starting from scratch?

Scott

- Collapse -
Office XP is unlikely to be at issue.

I never read Office using .NET. This error is likely caused by protection software, a temp directory being full or an account that is not admin capable.

Reading:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxbcl/thread/e40d80ca-6fe7-403d-b576-d6d72ef5e349

Repeats the same advice but there are some things I might try such as deleting that folder (hint: boot safe more) but when that happened I found the antivirus suite was interfering. I know some folk can't let go of a suite or bring themselves to wipe that out even temporarily.
Bob

- Collapse -
Fix Found

Hi Bob,

After all of the attempts, confusion and failures I decided to try a call to Microsoft.
After literally 2 1/2 hours on the line with their level two tech support it got taken care of.
They too used the removal tool just like your suggestion to use to completely remove ALL of the NET Framework versions on my computer.
Then after everything was removed and the system was rebooted a number of times the tech reinstalled them but in a specific order.
He loaded NET 3.5 first and then after rebooting he reinstalled NET 1.1 and then 1.1 SP 1.
After all of this IT WORKS!
I wanted to thank you and Paul who also offered his help to get this issue taken care of and let you know what actually got it handled.
Thanks again.

Scott

CNET Forums

Forum Info