Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Nero Took Over My Sound

I just bought a new CD-RW and loaded the (additional) Nero Media Player software that came with the hardware and CD burner software. Only too late I realized that Nero had taken over my entire sound playing ability and anything downloaded that used Windows Media Player wouldn't play.

So I removed Nero Media player via the Win 98SE Control Panel (Remove Software). Unfortunately Nero had already changed all my saved .Wav and .Midi files to require NeroMediaPlayer. Any program I play is without sound now.

How can I restore my previous settings that allow sounds to be played without Nero being needed? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nero Took Over My Sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nero Took Over My Sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Nero Took Over My Sound

In reply to: Nero Took Over My Sound

Collapse -

safe mode>command prompt only>type scanreg/restore and choose the day you installed Nero, if not more than 5 days boot. A registry backup was created when you first booted that day, before Nero. Restoring to that point should restore file associations.
otherwise, highlite the mp3 or wav or midi with one left click, then right click on it to see "open with" as an option. Put a check mark in the box "always open with" then scroll to media player or whatever, and apply.
This may not work as some changed file associations are aggressive in maintaining the link. Uninstalling Nero evidently didn't uninstall whatever program pops up to play it. You can try uninstalling it also.
When windows can't find the program to play the music, it usually pops up the "open with" dialog box anyway.

Collapse -
Re: Update

Sorry for my delayed response. I did just today restore my registry from a few days ago and it restored all the previous sound player connections (Windows Media).

However - sound will still *not* come out of my speakers. I tried several tests by clicking on wav. files saved on my hard drive and one game I have, but there is no sound. Also, there are no computer sound codes, nor is there sound for my modem dialing (yet the modem works). I don't think my speakers are burned out.

Do you have any ideas for solid tests I can conduct to determine what exactly is the wrong? Thanks much for the help.

Collapse -
Re: Update

In reply to: Re: Update

In my opinion it would have been better to just check a few checkboxes in Media Player (as mentioned in the thread I pointed to) than to restore the registry. The less you do, the less can go wrong.

My suggestions:
a. If the sound worked before you restored the registry, re-restore the registry to that working situation (if it's less than 5 days ago). Then go into Windows Media Player to associate it again with the file types you want.
b. If #a doesn't help, uninstall the sound drivers. Then uninstall and reinstall Sound from Control Panel>Multimedia and reinstall the sound drivers. You need both the Windows 98 cabs (on CD or on your hard disk) as the diskette or CD with the sound card drivers to do this. But it's easier than a complete reinstall of Windows which, I hope, won't be necessary.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Driver Reinstallation

In reply to: Re: Update

Thanks for the help. However, I restored the registry from several days ago because my sound was not working after loading the Nero media program on my computer. Again, even after restoring the registry with its automatic re-association of sound files to Win Media Player (7.01), my sound still doesn't work.

Also, I don't have the Win 98SE CD because the program came installed on my computer. So could you explain a bit more about uninstalling/reinstalling the sound drivers from the Win98 cabs? I haven't yet checked to see what I have as cabs on my computer but know some of them are there.

Someone I talked to by phone suggested downloading and installing Win Media Player 9. That, he said, might make my computer's sound active again. If that's true or not, I don't know. But the WMP download is 13 megabytes! and that's a very large file & long download for my dial-up connection speed and phone line condition.

I'll do anything to avoid a reload of Win98SE, so any of your ideas will be gratefully used!

Collapse -
Re: Driver Reinstallation

In reply to: Driver Reinstallation

Fred,

Some OEM's don't supply a Windows 98 (SE) cd, but put the necessary files on the hard disk (which makes the license to pay Microsoft cheaper). Usually, they are in c:\windows\options\cabs. A lot of them, all starting with "win". Then, when Windows ask for the cd, browse to that folder.
If no luck, find a Windows 98 SE CD on eBay. For certain repairs and installs, you simply need either the cd or the contents of it.

For a full reinstall, you need the cd anyway, so it isn't a bad investment of your bucks.

For downloading WMP, find a friend with both a cable or adsl Internet connection and a cd-burner.But I don't think that will help if you get no sound from Config Panel>Sounds (which lets you 'pre-play' the standard Windows sounds). That's basic Windows, which WMP definitely isn't.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Driver

In reply to: Driver Reinstallation

1. is your sound an add-in card or onboard?
2. go to device manager,sound-video-game controllers,
left click on the plus sign to see listed devices, write them down or let us know if there is a red or yellow flag. highlite each sound component listed, then hit properties, then driver tab and list down current driver files.
3. if it is just 2 or 3 items, highlite and remove each one. Restart PC. Windows should see sound device and automatically re-install as the driver files (inf) are already loaded. If it asks for driver installation disk, we'll have to direct you to download.
4. or uninstall and re-install WMD 7.

Collapse -

Check some of the options in the tools menu of WMP, there's something about file types, to make it easy on yourself, select all and press ok!

Collapse -
Re: Responses to All

Thank you all for your help.

First, I looked in WMP and it seemed that all the various file types on different tabbed pages were checked.

As for loading a newer version of WMP (or reload the existing one), I too wasn't sure it'd help. If the Windows "Chimes" file won't play, something worse than WMP is probably wrong.

I'm only sure that my sound card is the original one that came with the computer. My computer is a built-up model, put together in a store. It's not a name brand.

Below are the entries from my sound device manager. No flags at all appear.
*Sound, video and game controllers
*Wave Device for Voice Modem
*Wave Device for Voice Modem
*YMF724G Legacy Audio
*YMF724G Legacy Joystick
*YMF724G PCI Audio
*YMF724G PCI Joystick
------------------------------
Here are the driver files:

Wave Device for Voice Modem
Provider: Conexant Modem Audio
Date: 10-11-2001
C:\WINDOWS\SERVEWAVE.VXD
C:\WINDOWS\MMDEVLDR.VXD

Wave Device for Voice Modem
Provider: Intel
6-11-2001
C:\WINDOWS\SERVEWAVE.VXD
C:\WINDOWS\MMDEVLDR.VXD

YMF724G Legacy Audio
Provider: Yamaha
12-27-1999
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CMM33.VXD(CONFIGMG.VXD)

YMF724G Legacy Joystick
12-27-1999
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JOYD.VXD.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MMDEVLDR.VXD
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJSTICK.DRV

YMF724G PCI Audio
12-27-1999
(14 different driver files named here. They can't be copied/pasted so if critical info, I'll write each one in one-by-one)

YMF724G PCI Joystick
Yamaha
12-27-1999
C:\WINDOWS\FMJOYD.VXD
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MMDEVLDR.VXD
C:\WINDOWS\FMJOYP.VXD

Finally, let me just ask: is it possible that - by coincidence - my sound card died at the same time I loaded that (expletive) Nero Media program?

Collapse -
Re: Responses to All

In reply to: Re: Responses to All

Fred,

It's always possible (and really difficult to find out) that by coincidence hardware failed at the same time you removed software. Then a new soundcard should be the (only) solution.

But I would still opt for a remove/reinstall or Windows Multimedia (from Config Panel>Add/Remove> Windows setup) and/or reinstalling of sound card driver, by deleting all associated devices from Device Manager, then rebooting. Either Windows will detect the new hardware and ask you for the drivers, or you have to run the New Hardware wizard.
Somehow, this seems more likely to me.

Kees

Collapse -
BEFORE you uninstall

In reply to: Re: Responses to All

lo siento por otras palabras,,,espanol negativa.
www.driverguide.com free signup required if these don't work: username "drivers", password "all".
Once signed in, click on "sound card" icon, next page choose y for manufacturer, then Yamaha from list and hit "select manufacturer", then at Yamaha page type in ymf724. Do not add the G because the one post for that is a file that won't work. You'll get a spread sheet of listings. Then go to the top of that page to refine search, choose win98 from "os", choose "all drivers" from date box, hit the bar for search. You'll get another spread sheet, 56 entries. Choose of with multiple ymf listings that includes ymf724 and is 6.1mb download, as well as 100% under comments.
Download and put into a folder you make as "Yamaha".
Double click it and it should unzip the files into that folder or it will designate where it's putting the folder. Remember this because it's where you'll have to choose the PC to look for those drivers.
THEN GO TO device manager and simply remove all the YAMAHA devices, NOT the modem wave devices.
RESTART your PC and it will come along to either reinstall the Yamaha drivers or prompt you for the drivers. I suspect it will and is why I'm suggesting you download the drivers, as many newer video and sound devices don't nicely put the files listed in the INF file so you can reuse them, as it calls for a xxx.vx_ instead of vxd for example.
all this hassle to reinstall the Yamaha so it will reassociate and work right. If it doesn't, the onboard sound may have blown and you'll need a add-in sound card.

Collapse -
Re: Latest Word (An Act of Contrition)

If you consider this forum a center of computer brilliance as I do, then I guess it must also harbor its share of dunderheads, too.

I found the cause of my sound problem. After recently taking my machine to the shop to buy the new CD-RW (with its bundled Nero that started the trouble), I replugged everything into the rear of the computer's case. This is a formidable job when you've got a lot a preriphials and your eyesight is no longer 20/20 (grin).

Evidently, I plugged the speaker wire into the wrong hole: the empty "microphone" hole instead of the adjacent one for "speakers" (and another nearby for "audio in"). I guess things worked okay for a day until I installed (and then removed) the Nero media player.

My abject apologies to all who helped me with this. Let my mistake be a lesson to others who might need new eyeglasses and aren't yet ready to work on computers without adult supervision (g). Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.