Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

nero problems

by Ck87.JF / April 11, 2006 5:42 AM PDT

Besides my whole computer being strange lately, I had a LOT of problems with nero on Sunday, trying to burn a string of DVDs and CDs for a few friends (pictures & videos of various events). I started off with the CDs (for those without DVD drives), wanting to get them out of the way, and right away Nero started going crazy. I told it I wanted to burn a data disc (not realizing it was set to DVD), but when I realized, I closed that window, and Quickstart came back. I changed to CD, put the info on there, but it just sat there, not burning. I told it to stop burning, tossed the disc, put another one in there, and tried again. This time, I couldn't even get the window to put the contents in open. My system was dragging, so I checked task manager's process list. There were four or five nero.exe processes running! So I closed all of them, then smartstart, and tried again. Still problems, so I uninstalled and reinstalled nero.
That kind of worked. I could burn the first CD, but when I closed the nero window, smartstart wouldn't come back. Taking a look at the task manager again, I noticed that nero.exe was STILL running, along with NeroSmartStart.exe
So I closed nero, and the smartstart popped open. Dropped in the second CD, no problems. So I went throughout the whole process, doing nothing on the PC but burning discs, and after a disc finished burning, I'd close the window and end nero.exe's process. Before, this never occured. I would close the window after the disc was finished burning, and smartstart would immediately come back, and nero.exe would be gone from memory. But now, it stays. Which I don't understand because I uninstalled and reinstalled it, though I suppose maybe it might be something messed up in the user data. Plus, even when nero is working properly, it takes a HUGE amount of my memory away, which it never has done before. Might this have to do with my autorun/autoplay problems?
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=168556&messageID=1865078

One other annoyance is that I found out that two of the DVDs that I burned are completely bad, and one of them only partially works! That is odd, that it should work some, but not completely. Those DVDs said they were burned successfully, though... Not to mention that during burning, two of the CDs I tried to burn failed burning.
What are all these problems with my system, and why are they happening now? Is WinXP only supposed to last for a few months? Gr.
And no, I don't spyware or viruses. I monitor task manager regularly, and make sure processes that don't need to be running aren't.

WinXP SP2
Nero version numbers:
2.1.2.24 - NeroVision Express 2
6.3.1.26 - Nero OEM
1.4.0.23 - Nero Media Player

Hardware:
512MB RAM
150GB HDD
1.6GHz AMD Sempron 2600+

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: nero problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: nero problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1 tiny comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2006 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: nero problems

I always record at 1/2 the rated media speed. My collection of coasters doesn't grow...

Also I use CDBURNERXP when I can which is most of the time.

Bob

Collapse -
Check
by Themisive / April 12, 2006 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: 1 tiny comment.

The Nero web site, and get the latest drivers, for instance, you have a Nero OEM 6.3.1.26, you should find the latest is 6.6.0.14 (mind you, mine is a registered version so yours may differ), and the other items should be updated as well.

I do know the drivers can be a problem, as it is so easy to get them out of date.

Another thing you could do is to find out what chipset your mobo has (you can get this from the manual) then use google or another good search engine to find the maker's site for the chipset, you'll need the chipset number - also available from the manual - to get the latest driver, that should help.

Collapse -
record speeds & cdburnerxp
by Ck87.JF / April 12, 2006 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: 1 tiny comment.

>>record at half the rated speed
>Yeah, My CDs and drive are rated at 48x, and my DVDs and drive are at 16x, but I always burn the CDs at around 24x or 32x and the DVDs at 8x. And you're right, I don't often burn bad discs. In fact, I think I have only burned a few bad discs since this past summer.

You mention CDBURNERXP. What is that? Is that WinXP's Explorer burning utility?

I wonder why Nero is still acting crazy, though... whatever. Heh.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's a freebie that I've found very useful.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2006 5:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
That happens in Nero occasionally.
by chuckieu / April 12, 2006 5:54 AM PDT

When you messed up, you threw things out of sequence. With experience, you would know to close Nero in the Task Manager, then reboot(this is a must). I then delete that job from my computer with a registry cleaner, but that is probably optional. Should be burning correctly now. Bob's suggestion to burn at 1/2 speed is a fact having to do with Nero's interaction with XP. 98se didn't do this. If your deck burns CDs at 48x, after Nero sets 48x, change to 24x. If it doesn't start burning in the normal span of time, stop it, close program (don't save) and start over.
This time change speed to 16x. this is a media issue. I
used to always burn CDs at 24x, but new batch of discs needs 16x. Strangely enough, DVDs burn fine automatically, but I'm using DVDShrink (with Nero), so that might explain it. As far as having version 6.3.24. That is legitiment OEM copy that came with the drive. Now you need to get the latest 6.6.14 (or whatever) upgrade, just like updating firmware. NOT 7.0. Hope this helps.
chuck

Collapse -
Suggest you do a Clean Install of Nero
by colindarby / April 12, 2006 9:40 AM PDT

********First this is very important that you locate and make sure you have the Nero Serial number writen down******

Next go to the Nero Web Site and click on ''Site Map' [top RH corner] and from the list click on ''Support'' and then within the Web Page click on = ''Tools and Utilities'' = ''Nero 6'' = and within you will find the Nero Tools to scrub/remove any/all Nero programming.

Last of all down load and install the latest Nero programming [Latest programs Nero are Current version:Burning Rom 6.6.1.4 and Nero Vision 3]

This may correct your problems

Collapse -
this is cool...
by Ck87.JF / April 25, 2006 1:31 PM PDT

Okay, so I have confirmed that my friend Lydia's DVD drive doesn't work, and she was able to get the (third) DVD I burned for her to work on her mom's friend's laptop, which may mean the first two also work. She's going to bring them all back to school tomorrow, and I can try them again, and see...

Okay, so I've not messed with Nero or even really used my DVD drive for anything for a few weeks now... and after trying to help Lydia with her DVD drive (which works with all types of CDs and DVD movies just fine), I have decided I'll just burn her the 5 CDs and be done with it. So I did that tonight... and to my surprise, when I finished with one CD, nero.exe closed and nerosmartstart popped up! I confirmed this in the task manager, and got through all five CDs without incident. It was still a bit sluggish, but I monitored task manager's processes, and no more than one nero.exe was ever created! Weird how the computer just decides to work some days...

hey, is it just me, or is there NO flashing cursor here, in this box? I can't see anything... so as I sit here and stare at the screen, I see letters appearing as I type, but no flashing cursor, telling me where it is. Odd... maybe that's Firefox being strange.

Later...
Christopher

Collapse -
Nero Updates
by linkit / April 25, 2006 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: this is cool...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!