Speakeasy forum

Neil Armstrong urban lore

by Willy / September 20, 2014 2:30 PM PDT

Urban lore or legend as the case maybe. Neil Armstrong the 1st man on the moon was always a very unassuming person in real life. A quiet and private person only going public as the need arose. Here is a point of urban legend that i just finished reading from the book:

Neil Armstrong - A life of flight
Jay Barbree, author

Upon returning to the lunar module in order to prepare for later moon ascent, he uttered the words, "Good luck Mr. Gorkey". This is in the audio record, yada, yada. Many assume this maybe some tribute to a fallen cosmonaut, not so. To a friend, maybe, no. For many yrs. he never answered the question, why he said it. It seems as the legend goes...

In his youthful yrs. playing backyard baseball, he retrieved a baseball in the neighbor's yard. Where upon he overheard(open window), Mr. Gorkey, explaining to his wife, "you want sex, you'll get it when the neighbor's boy walks on the moon".

This is urban legend, but after 26yrs. he answered the question only knowing that the Gorkey's had passed. He stated he heard about this story when told that Buddy Hackett the comedian made such remarks. In other words, he never laid claim to such a story. He still hasn't even until his death.

FYI- That part of the book made me laugh wholeheartedly. The book itself gave insight to early astronauts and the accomplishment they made, the learning yrs. and problems they faced and overcame. It made me recall to the days of watching my b/w TV when they landed on the moon following every step televised. Phew, it was good reading of those chapters. God Speed -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Neil Armstrong urban lore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Neil Armstrong urban lore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did it also mention that there were women
by Diana Forum moderator / September 20, 2014 11:35 PM PDT

astronauts in training as well that did as well or better than the men and weren't allowed to go up because they were only girls? I think NASA thought they would fail but they didn't.

Collapse -
Medical or primary testing yes, but...
by Willy / September 21, 2014 1:45 AM PDT

In the early yrs. they undertook testing for "women astronauts" but declined to go in that direction at the time, since it was a "boys club" and of course started in the 50's. Much later, astronaut training was provided during the Shuttle yrs.. Where upon during the 60's max. effort was placed to get to the moon, rather than provide they reduced so-called female demands or scope, to a 1-item sorta inventory. The book itself didn't cover much on that topic other than rudimentary mention. Understand many of the early astronauts were military pilots and later test pilots, they had a leg up on flight even if it was considered, "spam in a can" during the Mercury days. sorry Diana, -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
You knew this?
by Willy / September 21, 2014 2:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
Have you ever know me to shoot the messenger?
by Diana Forum moderator / September 21, 2014 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: You knew this?

I just shoot down the arguments but the messengers rarely listen.

Collapse -
Niagara Falls!...
by Willy / September 22, 2014 1:14 AM PDT

Slowly, I turn, step-by-step... -----Willy

Collapse -
I've heard the step-by-step,
by drpruner / September 22, 2014 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Niagara Falls!...

but what's the Niagara reference?
Isn't it from a Stooges movie?

Collapse -
Oh a wise guy...
by Willy / September 22, 2014 10:33 AM PDT

Slap...slap...bo-ik, there you go, Why, I atta.....

As I understand it, the Stooges did take-up on the Niagara Falls bit, but it was already part of vaudeville. Kind of a running joke that the Stooges gave it its best shot. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
In that case, what is the concern of the speaker
by drpruner / September 24, 2014 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh a wise guy...

in the joke? A bad guy sneaking up? A scary noise?
Of course, if you have to explain a joke then I'm not that funny. Happy

Collapse -
I thought
by James Denison / September 24, 2014 11:26 AM PDT

that Abbot and Costello landed there first.

Collapse -
Jules Verne,
by drpruner / September 26, 2014 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: I thought

you ignorant, blithering...
Oops! Sorry!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?