Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Neighbor's wireless internet

My neighbor has wireless internet. I discovered this when I brought a laptop home from work and it picked it up right away. I can get onto the internet with no problem at all. Now, of course I had to return the laptop but I have a Dell desktop at home. It is not currently equipped to receive wireless. First off, is it morally/legally wrong to use his wireless connection? And further, what would I need to receive the wireless connection on my desktop? The desktop is a brand new Dell with McAfee firewall and virus protection, which I use for my super slow dial up connection. I certainly do not have the resources to pay $50 a month for a wireless connection myself so if this doesn't work out, I'm keeping my dial-up.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Neighbor's wireless internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Neighbor's wireless internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's called theft of service.

In reply to: Neighbor's wireless internet

It's sad the neighbor left their system unsecured.

Bob

Collapse -
Wrong...

In reply to: Neighbor's wireless internet

The legal issues haven't been fully sorted out yet, but when they are settled I'm sure it will be illegal. In the meantime, it is morally wrong. It is theft. We don't provide assistance in these forums for that.

dw

Collapse -
In Florida

In reply to: Wrong...

a man has been arrested for this, but as the case has not yet come to trial, the resolution is unknown. In the Sacramento Valley, CA, the DA is starting to wage war on wireless theft of service, and has declared illegal those antenna enhancements used to extend the range for receiving WiFi signals -- but I have not heard of any arrests there yet.

As **** said, it is still up in the air, and is being handled locally if at all. I am sure the broadband suppliers will be pressuring Congress to make this a crime.

Another aspect: my broadband (cable) contract allows me to up to five systems on my premises. If I knowingly let a neighbor use it, I would be in violation and could lose my connection -- if the cable company found out about it. If I did not know, then the cable company could presumably file theft of service charges, as they do now against those who tap into a cable line, and probably win as they do now.

And, as **** said, it is morally wrong.

Frank

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.