HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

negative number entry problem

by spamfoiler / June 17, 2008 6:26 AM PDT

I am using Office 2008 on a Macintosh. I have noticed that when I enter a number with a negative sign and then click on the next cell to continue entering numbers, Excel acts as if I have created a formula and adds the cell reference to the negative number. This does not occur with positive numbers (i.e., numbers with no sign in front of the number). This behavior seems inconsistent. I have no clue why this is happening, but sometimes I can be clueless. I've checked all the preferences and searched the internet, but have found no reference to this specific issue. Am I having one of those clueless moments, or is something weird here? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: negative number entry problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: negative number entry problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: nagative number entry problem
by Kees Bakker / June 18, 2008 1:17 AM PDT

I tried it on Office XP (Windows) and it doesn't happen there. As I don't have an Apple, I can't compare with Office 2004.

The workaround is easy. Again, that's in Office XP, but you can easily try it in your Mac version:
- enter ends the number and goes to same column, next row
- arrow down does the same
- arrow right ends the number and goes to next column, same row
With the enter and arrow keys near the numeric keypad, this is easier and faster than switching between keyboard and mouse for each cell. It takes some getting used to, but you'll manage that.

There always are minor incompatibilities between versions. This could be one of them. If you complain with Microsoft they either can tell you why they did it, or schedule a correction for this bug for the first service pack. If you don't complain with Microsoft, they won't do anything, I'm afraid.

Kees

Collapse -
Yes, this is new.
by spamfoiler / June 19, 2008 11:45 AM PDT

Previous versions of Word worked fine. It is just the latest version that seems to have this problem. I thought it was strange because I couldn't find reference on Google of any one else complaining of this issue. Thanks for your suggestions. The work arounds are good (and do work on a Mac), but go against the habitual way I enter data in a cell. And, you know how hard habits are to break. It would so much better if Microsoft would fix this so I will let them know. Yes, I have experienced the "why we did it" thing. It seems, in these instances, that bugs can become features <grin>. Oh well. Kinda makes you wish everything was open-sourced. Thanks, Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.