Cameras forum

General discussion

Needs new digital camera

by fishmaner / March 2, 2006 12:18 AM PST

My son-in-law is getting tired of the shutter delay when taking pictures of my first grandchild. Too many precious moments are missed by the delay. He'd like to get a new digital camera without any delay. He has an Olympus now but brand isn't important. I suggested he look at the Canon A620 but can't tell from the review if there is a delay.

Christine

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Needs new digital camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Needs new digital camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shutter Delay
by Stala / March 2, 2006 4:51 AM PST

The only camera's taht I have seen come close to cutting out the shutter delay are Casio and Sony. There is still a 0.3 second shutter delay. If you want no noticable delay, you would have to make the upgrade to dSLR. That's an expensive propsition.

I am wondering if you allow the camera to focus by pressing the shutter button down half way and then taking the photo after it had an opportunity to focus. This will give you the impression of less delay.

I own the Casio EX-Z750, and the shutter delay is virtually non existant and takes great photos.

Good Luck

Collapse -
by excelguru / March 2, 2006 5:41 AM PST

As Stala mentioned, make sure you do the focusing beforehand, if possible, to avoid waiting. Set it to manual focus if necessary (I'm not familiar with your camera). Also, check to see if the red-eye reduction feature is turned on (some cameras have that). If so, turn it off and remove red-eye in software afterwards. That feature causes a bright light to blink for a few seconds before taking the shot, which is a royal pain in the a__ when you're trying to take fast pics.

Stala also mentioned the possible switch to digital single lens reflew (DSLR). I can assure you that making the switch to DSLR will change your whole world... and your checking account. I made that switch about 9 months ago in an attempt to capture better shots of my kids. I will never go back to a P&S (point-and-shoot) camera. For me it was worth the expense. It's a personal decision you would have to make. Just be aware that few things are cheap in the DSLR world.

Collapse -
typo
by excelguru / March 2, 2006 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

That should read "reflex", not "reflew"

How did I do that? The X and W are nowhere NEAR each other.

Collapse -
Shutter Lag
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 2, 2006 5:47 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?