General discussion

Needs help after opening a bad .bat file.

I accedently opened a .bat file that gave me 20sec untill my desktop computer would restart(Windows XP). Now when i start up my computer and get to the User screan, it shows heaps of different users, names with random numbers and opening some of the users with next to nothing accessable in each of them. Is there anyway i can get all my old stuff back?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Needs help after opening a bad .bat file.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Needs help after opening a bad .bat file.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: bad .bat file

It would be interesting to know what the contents of that batch file were (can you post it?) and where you got it from (can you tell)? I've never seen a batchfile that can create new users.

Why not login into your good old own account and delete all those new users?

Kees

- Collapse -

Where i got it: i found it on a USB the was plugged in at the time and is new erased. So sorry i an get a copy of it.

And there are no old accounts, they were replaced with other ramdom accounts.

- Collapse -
So you're on one that random new accounts now?

What happened to your My Documents?
Are you still an admin?
How many direct subfolders are there in Documents and Settings?

Kees

- Collapse -

All my My Documents are gone, i'm no longer admin and there are 11 folders. That includes All Users, Admin and a fold that was already there. I have no access to Admin and the folder that was already there.

- Collapse -
RE: accounts

See if you can boot in Safe Mode and login into the secret Administrator account that appears then. By default, it has no password (unless you changed it yourself). Then use that to clear up the mess.

If that doesn't work, all that's left is a clean install of Windows XP from the CD or the recovery media.

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info