Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Needing help with Compaq Presario and Wireless LAN Cards

Okay, so I have already contacted Compaq/HP and they were no help and no one at any computer store can seem to help either. At this point, I'm just desperate for help Grin

Anyways, I have a Compaq Presario 1525US running Windows XP. I am currently using a Compaq 802.11b wireless LAN card with no problems. I am trying to upgrade to an 802.11g wireless card. I have tried cards from 3 different companies (the b and g versions out of curiosity) and cannot get any cards to work except for the Compaq card.

Once I load all of the drivers (I have tried this using the setup programs that came with the cards and have also tried manually loading the drivers before I install the card) SOMETHING, SOMEWHERE changes in my computer that I cannot access the internet. The cards will connect to my network, I can ping the DNS servers with no problems, I just CANNOT connect to the internet. Also, after the new card has been added, my original Compaq card will no longer work.

As you can imagine, this is very frustrating and any help possible will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance.

*crosses fingers*

--Canadagirl5823

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Needing help with Compaq Presario and Wireless LAN Cards
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Needing help with Compaq Presario and Wireless LAN Cards
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Needing help with Compaq Presario and Wireless LAN Cards

In reply to: Needing help with Compaq Presario and Wireless LAN Cards

Hey Canadagirl,

I want to preface this reply by saying I am by no means an IT expert. However, I have been playing around with wireless connections for some time and do all the wireless setups at my business. I don't think it is a problem with your new card at all...it is with your Network Connections and your wireless router. The number one problem is getting your wireless router to "recognize" your new card and to make sure Windows doesn't change your network connections. The first thing to do is open your Network Connections window and make sure you have an icon for your new wireless network card under the category: LAN or High-Speed Internet. In addition to this icon you should also see an icon for your regular LAN connection (wired) and one for a 1394 Connection. Next, you need to make sure none of these are attached to a Bridge (if so, remove them from the Bridge by right-clicking). Next, you need to go to a DOS window and at the C prompt type: ipconfig/release and hit enter, then type: ipconfig/renew and hit enter. Both of these commands force your system to purge any IP settings and attempt to get a new one from your router. ... see next message

Collapse -
Re:Re:Needing help with Compaq Presario and Wireless LAN Cards

In reply to: Re:Needing help with Compaq Presario and Wireless LAN Cards

... part 2
Next, reboot your system. If you still can't connect to the Internet, your wireless connection may not have the right TCP/IP setting. Go back into Network Connections and right-click on your new wireless connection icon. Choose Properties. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select the properties button. Under the General tab you should have both the Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically both selected. Under the Alternate Configuration tab you should have Automatic private IP address selected. This is where most problems occur. If you have a private IP address starting with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx then you will be able to ping the router, but not connect to the Internet. But if it is an address with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx then you are fine.

Now comes the unsophisticated part. You may have to keep repeating all the stuff above over and over again in different ways to get your computer to have a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx address in order to connect to the Internet. I wish it was easier. But I have not yet found a sure-fire way to get this process to work.

Otherwise, it may be a problem with your card.

Good luck,
Brad

Collapse -
Re:Needing help with Compaq Presario and Wireless LAN Cards

In reply to: Needing help with Compaq Presario and Wireless LAN Cards

Hey Canadagirl,

I want to preface this reply by saying I am by no means an IT expert. However, I have been playing around with wireless connections for some time and do all the wireless setups at my business. I don't think it is a problem with your new card at all...it is with your Network Connections and your wireless router. The number one problem is getting your wireless router to "recognize" your new card and to make sure Windows doesn't change your network connections. The first thing to do is open your Network Connections window and make sure you have an icon for your new wireless network card under the category: LAN or High-Speed Internet. In addition to this icon you should also see an icon for your regular LAN connection (wired) and one for a 1394 Connection. Next, you need to make sure none of these are attached to a Bridge (if so, remove them from the Bridge by right-clicking). Next, you need to go to a DOS window and at the C prompt type: ipconfig/release and hit enter, then type: ipconfig/renew and hit enter. Both of these commands force your system to purge any IP settings and attempt to get a new one from your router. ... see next message

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!