HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Needing help understanding SpeedFan?

by dawnrenee88 / September 8, 2014 12:06 PM PDT

I am running windows 8.1 on a emachine the computer is a EL1360g-uw12p HDMI Sometimes the computer runs a little slow. And I'm not talking about internet just the computer itself.

Like when starting a dvd or a music cd and so on. Just the basic things.

I don't have viruses I just checked plus tonight I downloaded ccleaner and ran it to clean up my pc also.

Here is what SpeedFan says.

"Found ST500DM002-1BD142 on AdvSMART
Found AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics
End of detection"

Fan1 0 rpm.
Fan2 0 rpm.
Fan3 0 rpm.
Fan1 2090 rpm.
Fan2 0 rpm.

pwm1/2/3 all are set to 0% next set of pwm1/2 are set to 50% each.

Temp1 69c. with flame icon in front of it. Temp2 42c with green check mark in front of it. Temp3 -128c with blue down facing arrow. HD0 50c with green check mark gpu 69c also with flame icon core 69c also with flame icon.

Little box says gpu vddc 0 94v.

I'm new to using speedfan so what dose any of this mean and is there a way to better use my fans in my pc.

dawnrenee88 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Needing help understanding SpeedFan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Needing help understanding SpeedFan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by dawnrenee88

Collapse -
Seems nothing to do but look?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 2:30 PM PDT

"The main task for SpeedFan is to read values from available temperature sensors located inside your PC. They are mainly accessed using the 2-wire SMBus (System Management Bus) serial interface, but SpeedFan uses several ways to access almost every hardware monitor chip and reading available. This is the full listing of temperature sensors that SpeedFan can access."

So there it is, folk can read some but not all fans in all systems. There's more at their forum at
http://www.almico.com/forumindex.php where you can access user setups and more.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
May want to consider an alternative
by Jimmy Greystone / September 8, 2014 11:06 PM PDT

You may want to consider an alternative program. It's possible that in the couple of years since I last looked there have been significant changes in the way SpeedFan works, but a couple of years back it was pretty widely known to be using rather inaccurate methods of calculating temps causing it to frequently be anywhere from around 5-10C off the mark either above or below.

There is no way to directly detect things like CPU temp. What programs like SpeedFan do is get a reading from a thermal sensor located directly below the CPU and then extrapolate the likely internal temperatures from that. It's a similar process for anything else SpeedFan might measure the temp of, like the GPU.

You also definitely do not want to use SpeedFan to try and tinker with the fan settings on a system unless it's to turn the speed up. Never lower the fan speed or you risk damaging the computer and generally shortening its effective useful life.

Considering eMachines is an Acer brand and Acer is known for cutting corners even at the expense of quality -- an eMachines was a budget brand even when it was an independent company -- it wouldn't surprise me at all if they skimped considerably on the convection part of the convection cooling most computers use. It might also be high time to do the annual (or even semi-annual) cleaning of dust bunnies and checking if the CPU thermal paste needs to be replaced.

Collapse -
Answer
temp programs need adjustments
by James Denison / September 9, 2014 5:09 AM PDT

leave the computer off all night or better in hibernate. The next morning take note of house ambient temperature. Start the computer, soon as you can check the temps reported. They should all be within 5C of the ambient. If not, not the difference for each one and adjust to subtract or add the adjustment needed. Whichever is highest reported temp once it's been on and used a bit will always be the CPU. If you start gaming and another temp climbs quickly, then that's the one for the GPU.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.