Computer Help forum

General discussion

needing help please

just moved from FL to TX i had clearwire in FL but here i had to go with time warrner. Now the only thing i can get to work is my e-mail and explorer! none of theother programs will likn up i keep getting a message that says ERROR NO INTERNET CONNECTION. what do i do? i cant even update windows. any suggestions please e-mail me @ babygirley1@yahoo.com
I have a gateway 504 gr and i am running windows XPi have i tunes, and that is on of theprograms that will not work (because of not connection)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: needing help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: needing help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is an excellent question

In reply to: needing help please

To be asking your ISP, Time Warner. They are far better equipped to help you with this than we could ever hope to be here. I suggest you call them at your earliest possible convenience. Part of your monthly fee includes tech support, so why not make use of it when you need it?

Collapse -
need ing help still

In reply to: needing help please

thanks, ive been onthe phone with tech support atleast 8 times(they r a total joke)they say it is a problem with my computer. i even had them send a tech out (still a waste of time). thetech pulled up the browser and said its fine but none of the other programs work. they then said it is aproblem with the computer so my husband did System restore still not working. we even wiped out the programs totally and reinstalled them still no luck. short of blowing up the computer im at a loss of what to do. any suggestions are greatly appreciated...
Thank you so much

Collapse -
What programs, specifically. . .

In reply to: need ing help still

won't work. If you can browse with IE and get email, then there are other problems. Please be specific and tell us exactly what happens on what program.

Collapse -
Do you have a third party firewall?

In reply to: need ing help still

Firewalls quite often block programs from accessing the net.

If you seriously want help you need to seriously provide some detailed info such as Firewall, names of applications that lost access, EXACTLY what all is different now than when all was working.

Collapse -
well specifically

In reply to: Do you have a third party firewall?

there is I TUNES that is the program that came wilh my ipod it should connect so ican down load music. then there is morpheus which is a sharewear (music) program. windows auto updates and manaulwill not update. that is the 3 major ones. on all three i get the message " AN error has occoured while contacting the raido tuning service. check your Internet connection, and try again later( itunes)! morphoeus is connecting.and cannot search.if morpheus dose not connect in a miniute or two please restart morpheus. so i have followed instructions and did don get it.
Windows updates ERROR no internet connection detected

I have Windows Defender, Spybot search and destroy, and Cookie Cleaner.all three are turned off.i also have pop up blocker and have that turned off as well. the only changes that havebeen made is that i moved and now i have time warrner (road runner) instead of clear wire..

Collapse -
Here is some specific help then...

In reply to: well specifically

for iTunes -- Sounds like you have your QuickTime preferences set up incorrectly. This also may be the solution to the other problems people have been having with actually playing streamed music.

Make sure you've selected the correct speed for your internet connection, and also make sure you've set up the streaming settings to automatic.

If not that try this (yes, it is a Mac fix but can be used in Windows too) -- http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20030915075740634

Also, if you have Nortons AV running and haven't mentioned that bit of info, Nortons has been noted to cause this error.

Then too, it could well be an Apple Server problem.

Morpheus -- http://wiki.morpheus.com/~wiki/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#I_have_tried_everything_and_still_can.27t_connect.2C_what_can_I_do.3F

Collapse -
sweet not sure if it will work

In reply to: Here is some specific help then...

but i will try that right now .thank you for the suggestions ill let you know what happens!!!!

Collapse -
well that sucks

In reply to: sweet not sure if it will work

i tried your suggestions. it began to work untill my husband (mr helpfull) got involvedand totally F@#$ed it all up so i ended up going to a computer shop. and there he could not figure it out so he ERASED everything so now i am starting with basically a new computer. thank you guys for your help. I apprecaite your help!! Thanks for everything!!
Shannon

Collapse -
well after messing up the computer

In reply to: well that sucks

and wiping out ALL of my programs info pictures music ECT.. i spoke with a MGR at time warrner and found out that the only thing i needed was for them to send a "PING" to the modem and computer. so hours wasted and alot of frustration but finally im up and running properly.. so thank you for all the help and if you run into someone with a problem like mine maybe thatwill help them..

Collapse -
Reply to: well that sucks

In reply to: well that sucks

[thank you guys for your help. I apprecaite your help!! Thanks for everything!!] Is this a Thank you very much? Well your very welcome and come back anytime, or a thank you you JERKS?

Collapse -
that was a VERY sincere THANK YOU

In reply to: Reply to: well that sucks

where my computer is concerned the only jerks is TIME WARRNER. i am very much thankful for the advice from the people on this site.. and im sure i will be back on!

Collapse -
EXCELLENT !!!

In reply to: that was a VERY sincere THANK YOU

Here in minneapolis Comcast just bought the Jerks(TIME WARRNER), so maybe thier service will improve. But i will still HATE them for being a BUSH/CHENEY megaphone and not telling the truth, which has leed to thousands DEAD.

Collapse -
good luck

In reply to: EXCELLENT !!!

i hope they dont make you go through as much S**T as i had to.. wishing you the best of luck!!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.