Cameras forum

General discussion

Needing a used/new camera with a certain feature set?

by sirzerp / January 28, 2009 12:22 AM PST

Hi Y?all

I?m looking for a used/new digital camera that has certain features. I?m a grad student shooting pictures in a lab and have to have only some operational features and don?t really care about the other bells and whistles.

1) Has to have manual settings for shutter/f-stop/iso/focus.
2) Has to have raw or tiff output.
3) Needs to be over 7MP
4) Has to have a full frame view of a 6? object. (i.e. wide field macro, fish eye macro, super macro, etc.
5) Needs some kind of remote operation, be it an old fashion shutter release cable, or electronic remote, or usb/serial computer controlled.
6) A/V output and low f-stops are nice to have.

Been using a Nikon 995 for three years with a wide macro lens and it has worked very well. Problem is that it is only 3MP. Lately, been looking at the used Fujifilm FinePix S7000 & S9100 cameras.

Been a slow process picking suitable cameras because I have been downloading the camera manuals and checking them page by page.

Found some nice cheap consumer cameras but all are missing raw or tiff outputs. Which irritates the heck out of me, because raw output is so easy a feature for a manufacturer to implement. Gee, take the raw file from the ccd and then write it to flash.

Can anyone recommend some other cameras that have my needed features?

Thanks,

Michael

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Needing a used/new camera with a certain feature set?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Needing a used/new camera with a certain feature set?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That A/V output is interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 12:47 AM PST

First you write 7 megapixels and later A/V output. If I look at 1080p HDTV that's only 2 megapixels. Why doesn't your spec line up the requirements?

Canon cameras are often remote controlled. Link about -> http://www.breezesys.com/

Collapse -
oops
by sirzerp / January 28, 2009 12:54 AM PST

"First you write 7 megapixels and later A/V output. If I look at 1080p HDTV that's only 2 megapixels. Why doesn't your spec line up the requirements?"

Sorry, I should have been clearer. On my Nikon 995, the a/v out redirects the little LCD screen (with menu options and all) to a external monitor. I noticed the s7000 & s9100 also come with a/v output cables, I 'assumed' it is the same type of lcd redirection.

Collapse -
Fujifilm not on the list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: oops

"# Remote operation of your Canon or Nikon camera using a PC and direct storage of images on your computer's hard drive" - Breezesys

Now confine your search to those.

Collapse -
Live View feature
by MrGadgetman / January 28, 2009 1:28 AM PST

Are you wanting a live view on an external monitor (real time on the camera's LCD screen) before you snap the shutter? Is that what you mean when you say A/V out? Otherwise, all the features you required/specified are found on any modern DSLR. If you want the 'live view' feature, Sony, Canon, and Olympus DSLRs have a live view. Without the live view you can hook the camera to a monitor and review the pictures, but still, it's going to be viewed in 480i because of the yellow RCA cable that comes with the camera. Which leads me to my next question.

Why a minimum of 7MP? Are you making large prints, or doing high zoom crops, or macro photography? I do macro images, particularly insects and spiders. I can tell you from experience that a camera with a large image sensor and lower megapixel rating takes better pictures than a camera with a small sensor and high megapixel rating, to a certain extent.

Collapse -
Yes, live view is good.
by sirzerp / January 28, 2009 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Live View feature

I guess I've been using live view for a while with the nikon 995. I would called it lcd redirect and it does come in handy.

The reason I said >7MP is that I just want more resolution. Done quite a bit at 3MP but figure it's time for a upgrade. I agree all things equal the a larger CCD would have the better picture.

As a grad student, one of my biggest problems is my budget. Used the S7000 is going for about $125 and the S9000 is about $275. For some people this is pocket change, but I'm not one of those people.

I would be able to get an older DSLR body for about $400 and then find a macro lens for it, but this is at the limits of my budget.

My subject/object size is 6" where I'm needing roughly a full frame print. I was calling this a wide macro, but there might be a better name for the type of lens I need. If I knew the ccd size ahead of time, then I can use lens maker eq to figure out the exact lens I need.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?