Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

needing a host

Nov 18, 2013 12:54AM PST

Hi all, would like some opinions on a reliable, easy to use and reasonably priced host. I am new to this world. Seems like I cant tell legit reviews from paid ads, there are so many out there when I google search. Want a simple site, that offers email and mobile also with an easy to use website builder. Any recommendswould be greatly apreciated

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Bear in mind
Nov 18, 2013 12:59AM PST

That so far, mostly spammers and re-sellers show up on such posts.

I'm interested in your easy to use question. That is, as a web master wouldn't you be adept at running Apache and such?
Bob

- Collapse -
to bear
Nov 18, 2013 1:04AM PST

I am helping my daughter who wants to open a site for simple community stuff, we are not pros

- Collapse -
Then use a provider with tools.
Nov 18, 2013 1:09AM PST

GoDaddy is often maligned but they and others provide tools and site builders for those that don't want to become a web master, programmer or don't want to employ such a person.

Again, almost all the replies with offers to host invariably are spam. But you should by now know the usual players and costs involved.

-> Why not use a Facebook account for this and skip a web service entirely?
Bob

- Collapse -
Bob
Nov 18, 2013 1:21AM PST

I thinka site would do better for what she wants to do plus for about 10 bucks a month this is a. great teaching and social skills lesson

- Collapse -
Sounds like you found it.
Nov 18, 2013 1:25AM PST

Go with the 10 bucks a month and you're done.

However I've yet to find folk avoid learning HTML and more. Maybe someday but look at the conversations here and many require some learning of the technology.

It's also safe to bet that at 10 bucks a month you would never expect support beyond "Is my site down?"
Bob

- Collapse -
bob
Nov 18, 2013 1:34AM PST

my learning i dont mean code and stuff. Just her taking charge of something and having to interact with people.

- Collapse -
All of the above.
Nov 18, 2013 1:43AM PST

I hear you and let's be clear there is no perfect host at any price today. If it is for what you revealed so far I think community centers could easily get by with a Facebook page.
Bob

- Collapse -
Simple website Builder
Jan 23, 2014 2:22PM PST

You can use some simple tools to build website with simple navigation or you can use Godaddy web hosting and web builder services which can design a user friendly designs in minutes of time.

- Collapse -
Re-needing a host
Mar 12, 2014 12:56PM PDT

Dear Sir:

Would you kindly tell me the configurations you need for your host?

Hope can receiveyour reply ASAP.

Yours Json Xing