Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Need .zip virus help please

by somar2 / February 24, 2004 7:27 AM PST

Does anyone know which virus the following characteristics resemble?

E-mail attachment was info. zip
Mass multiplies in local and network as a .zip file (1800 and counting bogus .zip files)
Destroys MS Word, Excel & PowerPoint files
Corrupted Norton anti-virus

If I can find out which virus this is, maybe I can find a way to kill it and recover my lost data. Any advice would help.

Thanks,
Danny

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need .zip virus help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need .zip virus help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Need .zip virus help please
by Marianna Schmudlach / February 24, 2004 7:39 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Need .zip virus help please *update*
by somar2 / February 24, 2004 11:15 PM PST

The name of the virus is w32.mydoom.f@mm

The website has a clean and remove software, but it was unable to remove all of the files.

Any suggestions on how to remove this?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Need .zip virus help please *update*
by Donna Buenaventura / February 24, 2004 11:24 PM PST

Hi,

Use the removal tool from - http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mydoom@mm.removal.tool.html

Download the FxMydoom.exe file from: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FxMydoom.exe

Save the file to a convenient location, such as your downloads folder or the Windows desktop, or removable media known to be uninfected.

Close all the running programs before running the tool.

If you are on a network, or if you have a full-time connection to the Internet, disconnect the computer from the network and the Internet.

If you are running Windows Me or XP, then disable System Restore.

Double-click the FxMydoom.exe file to start the removal tool.

Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run.

Restart the computer.

Run the removal tool again to ensure that the system is clean.

If you are running Windows Me/XP, then re-enable System Restore.

If you are using Active Desktop, you may need to restore it.

How to disable System Restore in Windows ME
How to turn off System Restore in Windows XP

Collapse -
Somar, Here's Another Removal Tool That Works
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 25, 2004 1:38 AM PST

McAfee Stinger Tool
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Download Stinger to your desktop, then, (if you're using Windows ME or XP, temporarily disable System Restore), then restart the computer in "Safe Mode", then run the tool repeatedly till it no longer finds infected files:

To disable Windows XP System Restore:

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click on the ?My Computer? icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click the "System Restore" tab.
4. Check "Turn off system restore" or "Turn off system restore on all drives". Click on Apply, etc.

To disable Windows Me System Restore:

1. Click Start, point to ?Settings?, and then click ?Control Panel?.
2. Double-click the ?System? icon. The System Properties dialog box appears.

NOTE: If the System icon is not visible, click "View all Control Panel options" to display it.

3. Click the ?Performance? tab, and then click ?File System?.
4. Click the ?Troubleshooting? tab, and then check ?Disable System Restore?.
_______

How To Restart In Safe Mode

Restart the computer, pressing the F8 key once per second, till it loads a selection screen. Use the up and down arrows to select "Safe Mode", press enter, and the computer will load into a safe mode. It looks like a normal screen but with Safe Mode in each of the four corners. When you?re done, restart the machine and it will boot normally.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?