Phones forum

General discussion

Need Wireless PDA Recommendation

by XMG-Eric / November 23, 2005 11:55 AM PST

Hey there,

I've been recently searching for a PDA that would suit all of my needs, havent came up with much. I want to have the ability to check E-mail, Stock Quotes, etc.. from anywhere at any time. I've looked into smartphones, but I already have a cell phone.

I'm looking for a PDA that would offer wireless connectivity anywhere (not just Wi-Fi), almost like a smartphone, is this possible? is there a PDA with any kind of GSM or other wireless internet services avaliable? Price is not a major factor.

Any help much appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Wireless PDA Recommendation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Wireless PDA Recommendation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In response...
by illlogic / November 23, 2005 3:26 PM PST

If you're looking for a PDA that can connect ANYWHERE, then more than likely you'll have to setup a service plan through a wireless carrier, like T-Mobile or whoever. They have plans that are just for data services with no voice minutes. On the other hand, depending on what kind of cell phone you have, you can probably get ur PDA to connect to your cell phone and that way get you on the internet. Maybe you could get a smartphone with just data capabilities, then when you're other phone's service plan is up you can just switch over to your smartphone. Really, you have many options nowadays considering what you're trying to do there. Whatever you do, I would suggest get PDA that has Wi-Fi since it's so fast (faster than connecting through your phone, that's for sure). It will even be faster than those "smart phones". They may be smart, but they're slow, like dial-up slow. What else can I say?

Collapse -
Have you tried the Treo 650.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 10:07 PM PST

It can be pricey on a monthly basis to get all that access and wifi is missing but it hits your list. Yes, it's a cell phone but you can manage.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.