General discussion

need video card advise.

I'm buying a new rig soon.Considering an AMD Phenom II 1090 T with a gigabyte GA-790 XTA-UD4 board,and 8 gigs or ddr3 dual channel memory.Though I'm not a "gamer" I do however edit and compile a lot of dvd's in keeping up with my Grand Kids.I already have 2 EVGA GeForce 9500 GT video cards and just can't find a link to see if they are compatible with this rig.Really like to find out before I buy it.Anybody know where I can get that info?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: need video card advise.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: need video card advise.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
My take on this is it should be compatible.

The motherboard has 2 pcie-x16 slots, although one works at x8 (works slower).

- Collapse -
Will they work ....assuming they're PCIe Yes.

However, will they boost performance over a single GPU ... I don't think so.

The MB supports CROSSFIRE (dual ATI/AMD GPUs) but makes no mention of SLi.

Let us know what you find.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
You're right.

Looks like I'm better off just eating the cost of those cards and go with something more compatible.I'm even going to reconsider the whole AMD thing,too.I've never used Intel so I'm not sure if it's rated better or worse but I was looking at a barebones builder and came up with this
http://www.superbiiz.com/system_conf.php?preid=59
It's definitely a little more than I was wanting to spend,but doing it right the first time pays off

CNET Forums

Forum Info