General discussion

Need USB help real quick

alright, my USB is startin to mess up now it won't read the things I put it it [ mouse and all of that ] I really need my USB Port for a lot of my musicial devices. Everytime I put something in it it won't read and if i keep taking it out and putting it in it says something about a Power Surge. Should I buy a new USB or will the problems still happen? Please help me, I'll pretty much buy anything to help my problem.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need USB help real quick
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need USB help real quick
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Power Surge
- Collapse -
AC Adapter?

Okay I read the page some I'm guessing I need an AC Adapter. How would I power my USB with it?

- Collapse -
Or you have a Dell and their patch?

Your post was incomplete.

- Collapse -
Is there some computer or Operating System?

If you pur POWER SURGE in the Forum Search, you may find that "patches" for some machines are noted. Dell had a few and others too.

With what you posted, this patch may not be found.

Bob

- Collapse -
Should I get this?
- Collapse -
I wouldn't. The USB surge issue is widely discussed.

But your incomplete post doesn't allow anyone to see if there is a patch for your OS and machine.

Bob

- Collapse -
Specs

Oh, Well I have Windows XP Professional. I don't know a lot about specs since I'm not a computer guy. I also an Intel Pentium 4 Processor. I have an Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Control. Two NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller. It also says I have a Intel 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller.

- Collapse -
Alienware

Oh yea and my Computer is From Alienware not Dell

- Collapse -
You ignored the forum tip.

So you get to make many posts until you fill in the blanks.

And... the issue is not a Dell exclusive. HP and many others had to issue such a patch.

Bob

- Collapse -
Read this one.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7590-0.html?forumID=67&threadID=52185&messageID=698842&tag=cnr wrote:

"

Dell Technical Support personal has contacted me on the subject,and suggested to download a "patch" program to Win XP, SP2. I have no problem since I installed the program (for three days). You can try.
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?releaseid=r89758&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
Download this file from the above link and save it on the desktop and once it is saved you need to double click on it to Run or open to install this patch.

R89758.EXE

Posted by: 4700CDELL Posted on: 01/19/2005 7:43 PM "

Your laptop/desktop maker should have a similar patch for you.

Bob
- Collapse -
Didn't Work

It didn't work

- Collapse -
That one is NOT supposed to work.

Your laptop maker will supply this patch. The example is to show that the laptop makers are supplying such.

Are you telling us that Alienware is not supporting you?

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info