General discussion

Need to use D: Drive due to C: filling How to do it easily?

My C: drive has 74Gb NTFS but has only 15 GB left, but my D: drive has 55GB free out of 65GB. What do I need to do to utilise all my disk space and still access my files as if they were on C:? Vista 32 bit laptop.

Discussion is locked
Reply to: Need to use D: Drive due to C: filling How to do it easily?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need to use D: Drive due to C: filling How to do it easily?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -
Re: moving files

You can't access files on d: exactly as file on c:, because the drive-letter is different. So you would have to go to another drive.

It's transparent if you move a folder like My Documents (via its right click properties) that you don't access via a drive-letter. But for all other files - after moving the folder - you'll notice the drive they are on is different. But that's only a minor difference.

Don't move files from
- the root folder
- program files
- windows
- other folders than My Documents in your profile



- Collapse -
I use...

Two methods: swap files over/transfer -OR- buy a larger HD.

Save your data to any media(CD/DVD) of installed pgms. besides the OS and its default pgms. Once done and proper, de-install pgms., reboot and then re-install in drive "D". You can then swap data to the new location, etc.. Once done, you've free-up space. However, just buying a new HD that say 250GB, to replace your drive "C". Then use its own manufacturer's provided s/w can transfer the whole old to new HD, then remove old HD entirely. You gain more space and the system is more capable. In fact, get a real large HD and replace both old drives, as a 250gb and larger is very common now, easily outstrips a 80 or 70gb old drive.

Buying a new HD is pretty simple with manufacturer's s/w involved and using the instructions. Review them at support websites to see what's involved.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Need to use D: Drive due to C: filling How to do it easily?

Thanks guys.

I've moved my documents, but no progs or windows stuff to D: and it appears ok, but I accept the point about getting a bigger disk.

- Collapse -
PC Magazine Utility

PC Magazine had released an utility called "COA32 (Change of Address/32)" by Neil J. Rubenking.
It does what needs to be done to move the location of installed files in Win XP.

Have been using it for years without any problem.


CNET Forums