Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

need to unstall my printer then re install

by gwingee / July 7, 2006 10:57 AM PDT

Can I unplug the USB from behind the printer and tehn go to printer and uninstall...then do I reconnect the USB and install..or just do the install first and then put in the WSB. My HP director is not reading my printer and I was told I have to uninstall and re install...have not done this before..when I got this..my friend set everythig up for me...help please...do I have to disable my norton..thta is what I was told???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need to unstall my printer then re install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need to unstall my printer then re install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Uninstall. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 7, 2006 11:17 AM PDT

Unplug the printer and then uninstall it. Go to Start, Settings, Printers, highlight your printer, right click, and click Remove.

Installation usually requires you run the installation software first, then reboot, then plug in the printer. You'll have to look at the printer documentation for the specific procedure.

The printer should install without disabling any other programs.

Collapse -
This Is How I Would Do It..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 7, 2006 11:21 AM PDT

Turn OFF the printer and Unplug the printer's USB cable from the back of the computer.. Now with the computer turned ON, open the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs and uninstall all the HP printer software that is located there.. Restart the computer, then click on Start-Printer and Faxes to open the "Printers" folder. Make sure the HP printer icon is gone from that location.. If it's not, then RIGHT click on the printer icon, choose "Delete".

Now turn ON the printer but leave the USB cable unplugged.

Now that the printer is uninstalled from the computer, then place the HP printer CD in the CD-Rom and let it autorun.. It will install the software and during the installation, it will ask you to plug in the USB cable. Do so when it asks and follow the prompts to finish the reinstall.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Question Grif
by gwingee / July 7, 2006 11:39 AM PDT

Do I have to remove all the HP files with the uninstall the Hp Director..the Hp Image Zone?? Or do I just uninstall the printer and re install...what I need is for my HP director to work right..it tells me the ink levels and lets me scan things..but right now it is not recognizing my printer ..

Collapse -
I Would Uninstall All Of The HP Software...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 7, 2006 1:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Question Grif

...from the Add/Remove Programs section. At least all of the HP software that was installed with the printer. During the reinstall, with everything HP completely gone, the software "should" reinstall everything correctly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
hp printer will not uninstall
by howjef / December 20, 2007 10:37 AM PST

Am running Winxp on Dell desktop.
I have the all in one hp k80xi completely disconnected. have gone to programs hp and uninstall. It says to first turn off the device.And then "a problem occurred initializing the device manager". It was off when i disconnected it. Have tried going thru add remove programs same result. Have deleted it from the printers folder.
How do i uninstall so that i can reinstall. I do have the original cd that came with the machine.

Any assistance will be appreciated

Paula

Collapse -
When it's deleted from the printer folder ...
by Kees Bakker / December 20, 2007 5:09 PM PST

you can reinstall it according to the instructions. Like when you first installed it.

Kees

Collapse -
wouldnt uninstall
by howjef / December 21, 2007 12:41 AM PST

Thanks Kees.
I finally hooked it all back up. Because it kept saying it must be turned off. Followed onpersons suggestion re cmd prompt and stop and start spooling. tried to update driver. all kept saying it wasnt working. and then tried deleting it from programs. it finally worked after repeated tries and many computer restarts. Interstingly got no response from hp.

Paula

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?