Laptops forum

General discussion

Need to transfer old HD to new, old screen not working...

by Grape Gurl / October 23, 2007 12:31 PM PDT

Screen on my old Dell Inspiron pooped out, not going to fix.The computer still turns on, and I can hear things working when I power it on, but nothing on the screen. Have replaced it with a Lenovo laptop, soon to be arriving. Was told to get Windows XP on it to facilitate the transfer, can upgrade later if necessary.

QUESTION: How do I get the data fom my old laptop to the new, if the screen on the old is not working, but the computer seems to be? I went to the Apple store and they copied the old HD to a backup HD, but some have told me I might be able to get it right off my old laptop. What can I bring from my old HD...Files? programs? Will I need to re-install programs like Microsoft Office or Itunes?

Sorry...really dumb questions, I'm sure, but would appreciate any help or resources. Most of the stuff I have found on the web pertains to dead computers, & I have heard the transfer can be accomplished more cheaply for a computer that still powers on.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to transfer old HD to new, old screen not working...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to transfer old HD to new, old screen not working...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is 10 bucks cheap?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 9:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks...got it!
by Grape Gurl / October 24, 2007 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Is 10 bucks cheap?

Thanks for the suggestion. I had been reading about trying to do it free by using the Files & Settings Wizard, hooking the 2 laptops up together, but since the other one has no screen, that's obviously not an option.

You have mentioned geeks.com to me before and since then it has been a fave. Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
What can I bring from my old HD...Files? programs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 9:08 PM PDT

"What can I bring from my old HD...Files? programs? Will I need to re-install programs like Microsoft Office or Itunes?"

Files. In the case of Itunes you can save your library too. I won't duplicate web content on how but it can be done.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.