Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Need To Shred Files Already Deleted

by tonyny77 / January 19, 2014 11:43 PM PST

Can anyone recommend a utility to "shred" unused disk sectors? Is there such a utility that would leave used portions of the disk alone?

I have an old Windows 7 computer that I wanted to pass along in a usable state. Since it had some Windows-related config issues and didn't work reliably anymore, and since I didn't have the OS installation media, I decided to get it working again by restoring my oldest backup, which unfortunately included lots of personal information.

Although I was able to uninstall programs, remove the user accounts and delete other personal files, that still leaves lots of content potentially recoverable.

Someone may ask why I didn't use a regular file shredder when I did the deletes I mentioned in the previous paragraph. I didn't think that would be practical simply because I would have needed to identify the individual folders and files to delete/shred instead of relying on the program uninstallers and the account removal process; using the uninstallers and account removal process automatically located and removed content I may not have known where to find.

So, anyway, as I think you can see, that leaves me wanting to "shred" all the unused disk sectors that may contain potentially recoverable data.

If you've heard of such a utility, your help would be appreciated. Thanks, folks.

Tony M.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need To Shred Files Already Deleted
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need To Shred Files Already Deleted
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What about what Windows stores in areas we don't know about?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2014 12:04 AM PST
Collapse -
CCleaner Did the Trick
by tonyny77 / January 23, 2014 3:18 AM PST

As always, thanks for your very helpful replies, Bob.

My problem was that I wanted to sell or donate the computer and offer it in working order with Windows installed. I would have wiped it with DBAN and re-installed the OS, but I had no installation media. My oldest backup contained lots of personal information, so without a better alternative, I used that backup to restore the system and then I manually de-installed many programs and files.

Using CCleaner, that allowed me to use the Wipe Free Space function, thereby thwarting any attempt to recover deleted information. To double-check, I ran Recuva which showed just some system-type files remained, but there's no hint of the GBytes of personal information I previously had.

So, now we can safely sell or donate that system, and Windows is already working. Thanks again, sir.

Tony M.

Collapse -
(NT) +1 for Ccleaner. In its stock settings, always nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2014 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: CCleaner Did the Trick
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?