Computer Help forum

General discussion

need to remove operating system

by aqw8326 / February 13, 2006 9:14 AM PST

I made a mess, needing to do some upgraging on my home built computer, I attempted to upgrade from ME to XP. Problem is I have two hard drives,- the master did not have enough room, so it sent to the slave, now I have two OS running. I want to reformat my two Maxtors, wipe them clean and start over with the larger as the master, smaller/slave,
Can't seem to get the Max Blast to work. Any suggestions?
Ann

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need to remove operating system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need to remove operating system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use the XP CD. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 13, 2006 9:40 AM PST

to format and clean the drive you want as slave. Set it as slave on the system board. Set the other drive as master and use the XP to format it and install the system.

Before you start, to be safe, remove the slave drive from the PC and install XP on the master. After it's up and running, connect the slave drive, let XP find it, then activate it.

Wayne

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
If MaxBlast is a
by Ray Harinec / February 13, 2006 10:52 AM PST

overlay program, Windows will not recognize it for formatting etc. You may have to remove the Maxblast overlay first.

You may find the best think to do is clean the drives using "killdisk" or "delpart". These will remove overlay or other type formats.

Here's a link to delpart on Toni H's website.

http://www.pcwarfare.com/hdd.tools.htm

Collapse -
Think about
by skippyd333 / February 13, 2006 3:55 PM PST
In reply to: If MaxBlast is a

using cable select option on your jumper selection instead of master/slave jumpers. If you have yhe right ribbon cable to do it with. Must be a 80 conducter cable. It looks like this. The ridges across the cable is almost smooth instead of rough. The motherboard end is blue, center grey and other end black. Then it has to have 1 hole closed where they connect to the hard drive pins. Cable select auto selects master/slave. Master on the end. A 40 conductor cable (older type), the master is in the middle when using cable select Read this page it explains.
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html
Now when you freshly load Xp it will come to the part where you will see both drives. I recommend deleting the formats on both drive and start out raw. Just read what is says. You want Drive c as your Xp drive. Select it and go . it will then give you the choice of how you want to format C: or hdd0. Go through the whole loading process then when you are done you can go into my computer see both drives. Right click on the second drive and choose format. I also recommend switching to ntfs format instead of fat32. It is more secure and uses less drive space. The difference in speed your talking miliseconds.

skip

Collapse -
Thank you all
by aqw8326 / February 14, 2006 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: Think about

Thank you all for your help, they all worked.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?