Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Need to remove name from file

by averageuser53 / May 14, 2011 4:40 AM PDT

For journal publication purposes, need to remove personal information from file, specifically my name. Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to remove name from file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to remove name from file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Could you tell us what applicaqtion the document ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 16, 2011 11:53 AM PDT

was created in?

If it was Microsoft Word the following might guide you. Since there is a lot of hidden information to consider I suggest you read the entire page:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/remove-personal-or-hidden-information-HP005190102.aspx

To remove only what you mentioned about properties the following will generally getter-done

1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Security tab.

2. Select the Remove personal information from file properties on save check box.

3. Save the document.

Should the documant have been produced un some other application or in a version of Word the above does not work with this link might be worth your while:
http://www.osec.doc.gov/webresources/bestpractices/Resources_for_Removing_Hidden_Data.html

Anbother method that often works well is to open the document in NOTEPAD and scroll down to where you find the personal info then save it. Word will no longer be able to open it but WordPad will. Remove the extraneous information and reformat as needed then save and send as RTF.

Collapse -
Look up and see the link to their first post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2011 2:57 PM PDT

They had some older office and need to clear up your questions as well.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: removing name from file.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 14, 2011 4:52 AM PDT

Let's assume it's a MS Word .doc or .docx file. Then use MS Word or Open Office to edit it. Find and replace might be useful.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: removing name from file
by averageuser53 / May 14, 2011 7:24 AM PDT

Thanks, but I'm afraid I miscommunicated my problem. I was talking about the information you find when you right-click the file icon and then click on "Properties." There is a file string that I cannot hide. I am trying to anonymize my authorship. Thanks again.

Collapse -
The file won't be used in the paper.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 15, 2011 5:22 PM PDT

Only the contents. And I doubt if any respectable paper will publish such an anonymous text. But, of course, that's up to you.

Kees

Collapse -
by averageuser53 / May 16, 2011 1:37 AM PDT

Sorry, Bob, that was not helpful. The journal itself, a very respectable one, demands anonymizing the file with the content of the paper for reviewing purposes. You still send in an accompanying file with the relevant personal information. Now can you help?

Collapse -
Be specific.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2011 1:48 AM PDT

Since exporting to RTF lets us see all the content in plain text, how does that not help?

As to the accompanying file, that, is not part of this discussion as far as I can tell.
Bob

Collapse -
Kees, check this link out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2011 7:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
by averageuser53 / May 16, 2011 4:40 AM PDT

Below is an excerpt from the journal's "Instructions for Authors":

In addition to the considerations noted above under manuscript preparation, please make certain that the digital file you send is anonymous. Anonymizing the digital file may require removing author information from the 'properties' field in MS Word and from the properties or 'get info' field of the file itself.

Exporting to RTF did not remove the file name string with my name in it.

If this clarifies matters, please respond.

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2011 5:01 AM PDT

The filename string can now be edited with almost any plain text editor. This is why I noted this method since in RTF (format) all is revealed and all can be edited in what is called "plain text."
Bob

Collapse -
Re: anonymous
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 16, 2011 5:05 AM PDT

Several options, I think.
1. Send a pdf in stead of the word document
2. Copy/paste to Wordpad. Much less metadata.
3. Remove metadata. How to do that depends on the version of Word you use and you didn't tell that.
4. Edit that rtf-file with Notepad. Replace your name with xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Does that help?

Kees

Collapse -
And another option.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 16, 2011 5:43 PM PDT

Make a new Windows account, f.e. "anonymous".
Run Word and when it asks for your name say it's "anonymous".
Now make a new Word document and copy/paste the content of the old document that has your name in it's metadata.

How does it show now? My guess: it will show the author as "anonymous".

Kees

Collapse -
Re: removing name from f
by averageuser53 / May 17, 2011 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: And another option.

Whow! This is by far the best for me. Thanks a lot. I'll let you know how it goes.

Collapse -
Great idea. I wonder if the OP had
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2011 5:34 AM PDT

I wonder if the OP had stuck the FILE NAME in some footer or header and didn't realize it would show the folder name with their name?

Fix? Take the file name from that area.
Bob

Collapse -
Anonymous
by averageuser53 / May 25, 2011 12:19 PM PDT

Thank you very much, Bob. This last suggestion fixed the problem for good.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?