Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Need to reinstall Vista on 2 different laptops??Help

by jwishy / February 5, 2010 11:01 PM PST

Okay so this is going to be like a 10 part question. The first laptop is an Acer Aspire 5520-5290. The problem is the way the hard drive is partitioned the OS is at 97.5% max capacity at its cleanest. What I mean is if I do a disk cleanup and remove all the shadow copies, dump files, and other stuff this is where the cpu is at. So I have to do this every couple of days because the drive gets to 99+% and Vista prompts me to do something. First off I hate Vista and I equally hate all the Acer crap that comes preloaded on their laptops. So I want to wipe the laptop clean delete the partition and install Vista from scratch but I have no disks. And I don't want to install any of the extra Acer crap. I mean really 30+GBs for an OS, that is just crazy. Now I also have acquired another Acer laptop that has a fried HD so I need to install vista on this laptop as well. Again this laptop is legit with MS keys but no disks. Now I do have a dead Toshiba laptop with a XP key not being used and was wondering if I could install Xp on one of these laptops? Is there anyplace I can go and download a legit copy of Vista for reinstalls? I can download cracked copies but I have license keys and rather stay legit.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to reinstall Vista on 2 different laptops??Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to reinstall Vista on 2 different laptops??Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: installing Vista
by Kees Bakker / February 5, 2010 11:08 PM PST

Yes, that happens when you buy a machine without OS disks. They usually come with either a recovery partition to boot from and/or a program to make your own disks and/or the option to order such disks for a reasonable price.
If none of the three apply, I shouldn't have bought such a machine. Are you really sure all threse three options are lacking? If they do, you'll need to buy a new license.

The XP that came with your Toshiba laptop is an OEM version and the license is bound to that machine. So we can't discuss transferring it to another machine; that would be illegal.

Kees
Kees

Collapse -
Vista Reinstall
by jwishy / February 5, 2010 11:15 PM PST
In reply to: Re: installing Vista

Hi Kees, I hear what you are saying but I don't want to recover the partition. It is way to small and there is to much unneeded Acer stuff on the cpu. And discussing how to do something that is illegal is not illegal. And I did not know the license was bound to that machine.

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: discussing
by Kees Bakker / February 5, 2010 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: Vista Reinstall

It wouldn't be illegal per se. But the forum policies don't allow it nonetheless.

Kees

Collapse -
The fact of the matter is
by jwishy / February 5, 2010 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Re: discussing

You said something was illegal and it isn't. So you can say per se or technically or whatever you want but the fact remains, you made an incorrect statement. I was not looking for information to do something illegal, if I wanted to do that I would just download any one of the million cracked copies of MS software from piratebay, btjunkie, or different torrent sites. I came on thi sforum looking for teh right way to do this. And for you to defend your WRONG statement by then saying well it is against the TOS is someone who has a problem with being wrong and is making an excuse.

Collapse -
Thin ice here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 12:50 AM PST

I see where this is going. Let's try this.

We'll make mistakes from time to time but must stay inside the forum policies.

Try again and try to stick inside the forum policies. If you try to debate the forum policies you may be upset and certainly won't be working on your machine's problems.

So there you are with the lessons about OEM licenses. These are locked to the machines and we will not discuss how to unhinge them.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
I understand
by jwishy / February 6, 2010 1:28 AM PST
In reply to: Thin ice here.

Hi Bob, I didn't know that the OEM license was locked to that laptop. With that being said is it locked to the case, the processor, the motherboard, or what? I was looking for advice on how to fix multiple problems and I have someone telling me that what I am doing is illegal or what I am trying to do is illegal or whatever is illegal. Fact of the matter is I have a vista laptop with a bad hdd. A vista laptop I want to do a clean install of vista and each have keys. Now I do prefer Xp and have a dead laptop with a XP key. I am sorry I took offense but some of the people here deputize themselves to be Microsoft Deputies and start spouting off illegal this and illegal that. At this point I dont even care if this thread gets deleted.

Collapse -
OEM SOFTWARE is ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 6, 2010 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: I understand

licensed to the machine it was installed on and "lives and dies" with that machine. The statement you are fixated on about an illegal activity was correct although it appears that you misread the statement.

The statement was not that the discussion was illegal but that performing the transfer would be and for that reason assistance would not be forthcoming in these forums.

OEM software is less expensive than retail though so you really have a couple of options.

First you can always perform a system recovery as the manufacturer provides which will return things to the factory installation state. Then you can make use of DECRAPIFIER which is free for personal use at http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

Second you could purchase an OEM copy of the OS you want to use and install it on as many computers as you have VALID KEYS for the OS.

Third you could clone the existing hard drive to a larger hard drive to be installed on the computer.

Collapse -
With what part of the machine?
by jwishy / February 6, 2010 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: OEM SOFTWARE is ...

What constitutes a "machine". Is it the case, the hard drive, the processor. I have changed all of the above on OEM machines and want to know what is illegal and what is not illegal.

Collapse -
Here you go ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 7, 2010 8:22 AM PST

and I have provided a link to Microsoft's OEM System Builder's FAQ BUT it does require registration as a system builder before you can browse them.

All below this line is quoted directly:

OEM licensing has certain restrictions as to what you can and cannot do according to the terms of the EULA that you accept during installation.

Q. What computer component ties the OEM license to the computer?

A. Short answer ? the first motherboard the OS was installed on. In the case of your purchase of an OEM license with a new computer, this license is tied to the motherboard of that system. In the case of a purchase of OEM software from a retail seller, this would be the first motherboard you install the software on, *not* the ?hardware? that was bundled with your OEM purchase.

Quoted from Microsoft's OEM Builder FAQs: https://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=553075

"Q. Can a PC with OEM Windows XP have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer's computer and the end user may maintain the license for the original Microsoft

Collapse -
Third Option
by IrvtheNerve / February 19, 2011 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: OEM SOFTWARE is ...

I tried the 3rd option on my Acer Aspire (cloning hdd to a larger one), but the new drive will not boot up. Is there another step to this process?

Collapse -
Glad you understand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: I understand

But you lost the direction in your posts. That is, you may want to think over "how or what do I need to do to fix my machine?" rather than debate forum policy.
Bob

Collapse -
What OEM locks to.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 6:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Well
by jwishy / February 10, 2010 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: What OEM locks to.

Hi Bob, I had no idea about such things. Although the tattooing of a motherboard might protect that machine is there anyway for MS to know that the licensed software that was on a cpu that you purchased has been transferred to a different machine (assuming they are not both being used)? Again my situation is I hate Vista and have a dead laptop with a fully licensed copy of XP. And I have a full install version of XP on disk that I would like to put on the Acer with Vista using the dead laptops key. This might not be legal but I think it would work. And to be honest I wouldn't mind the Vista on the ACER so much had it not been so bogged down with useless hard drive stealing utilities. Not to mention the partition of 33 GBs is almost full and there is nothing on the cpu but programs. No pictures, no music, no videos, no nothing. And how do I go about wiping the HDD and removing the partition on the ACER and reinstalling Vista from scratch? If I purchase a copy of vista can I use the key that is on the Acer laptop to register the software?

Thanks

Collapse -
And how do I go about wiping the HDD and removing the partit
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2010 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: Well

I see we're back on track. Let's roll.

1. And how do I go about wiping the HDD and removing the partition on the ACER and reinstalling Vista from scratch?

When we boot XP, Vista and 7 CD/DVDs the install process offers a step where we can delete old parttions, select a new fresh partition and the Windows installer will partition and format it for us.

TIP! I rarely use the longer format option. "Quick" is my answer.

2. If I purchase a copy of vista can I use the key that is on the Acer laptop to register the software?

No. Here's why. The OEM license is a reduced license. Now don't take it out on me but the laptop maker cut a deal and the license keys don't work on retail CD/DVDs. It's like buying a Yugo and you want to use your key for a Bentley. I know that many feel wronged over this so vent if you must but dems the rules.
Bob

Collapse -
Reformat
by jwishy / February 10, 2010 10:08 AM PST

Ah yes Bob I know exactly what you are talking about as far as deleting the partition during a fresh install but how about when I am reinstalling Vista using the Vista recovery DVDs, can I change/delete partitions then? And what is the actually size of Vista when installed with current updates?

Thanks

Collapse -
when I am reinstalling Vista using the Vista recovery DVDs,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2010 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: Reformat

"when I am reinstalling Vista using the Vista recovery DVDs, can I change/delete partitions then?"

On most recovery DVDs this is rarely supported. The OEM removes this because they don't want to support custom partitions, multiple OSes and more. They have a factory setup to reduce calls to the support lines.

"And what is the actually size of Vista when installed with current updates?"

I've seen 10's of GB to a high of 70'ish GB. Windows itself comes on a 4.7GB DVD so what's to say where the OS begins and ends? Let's think about it. Is Windows Media Player part of this OS? Or is it just an app?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?