Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need to rebuild, but computer doesn't see CD drive

Hi. My computer was recently infested (hopelessly so, I'm afraid) with Malware. I tried various remedies, but I got on it too late or the virus/bug was too clever. I lost the use of all my USB ports and CD/RW drives.

In any case, I have routinely backed things up, so I just decided to reinstall the XP system, rather than continue to beat my head against the wall. Unfortunately, when I tried to reboot the computer with the XP drive, the unit gave me a fatal c000021a error. When I went into the safe mode, the unit did not "see" or find the CD drive>

I'd sure appreciate any help. Please bear in mind that I am a newbie and pretty illiterate, so go slowly....thanks again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to rebuild, but computer doesn't see CD drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to rebuild, but computer doesn't see CD drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Booting from CD and Windows

In reply to: Need to rebuild, but computer doesn't see CD drive

When you're booting from the XP CD to install or reinstall, what Windows sees is not an issue. Your drive needs to be detected in the BIOS. Of course, I'm sure you've already entered the setup and placed the CD ROM drive ahead of the HD in the boot order. I'd try removing and reconnecting the power and IDE cable....presuming your CD ROM is an IDE type. Start the PC and interrupt the process to enter the BIOS. Check to see if the device is showing or can be detected. Watch for it's activity LED to light up as well. If the BIOS can't detect and configure the CD ROM, it won't install Windows. You could have a bad CD ROM, cable, etc.

Collapse -
Booting from CD and Windows

In reply to: Booting from CD and Windows

"Your drive needs to be detected in the BIOS. Of course, I'm sure you've already entered the setup and placed the CD ROM drive ahead of the HD in the boot order."

Sorry. I am not proficient in this stuff and this is "Greek" to me....sorry. I do appreciate your help tho.

Collapse -
I don't speak Greek either

In reply to: Booting from CD and Windows

but the BIOS detects and configures your hardware such as various drives, memory, connection ports, etc. Windows can only access hardware known to your BIOS (Basic Input and Output System). Some hardware can be configured manually and some cannot. You might see on your screen a prompt to press a certain key to enter Setup. This would be how to get into your BIOS screens and look at what hardware is detected. There will be several places you can navigate but usually you want to look at general and boot settings. These, among other things, will show what drives are available such as hard drives, floppy drives and CD ROM type devices. If you find reference to your CD ROM drive, you should be OK. But, to install Windows from the CD ROM drive, your BIOS needs to have that drive looked at before any other drive with a boot partition. You should be able to see what the current boot order is and, if need be, move the CD ROM drive to the top of the list. With that done, put the CD ROM in the tray and restart the PC. It should bring you to the installation screens. If not, and all else seems OK, your drive might be defective.

Collapse -
Sounds like the MSBLASTER infection.

In reply to: Need to rebuild, but computer doesn't see CD drive

If you "reinstall" XP then the virus can survive. If you "clean install" XP then your hard disk files are going to vanish.

The differences are subtle but the first thing you must tell is if you need to save your files.

If yes I suggest you forget about installing to that hard disk. The CHEAP fix is to remove your hard disk, set it aside and put in a new blank drive. Now you can install Windows, update it with firewall, antivirus and then later add your old drive as a slave so you can reclaim your files.

Some won't understand why this is the cheap easy fix until they lose their machine or their wallets at some repair counter.
Bob

Collapse -
Sounds like the MSBLASTER infection

In reply to: Sounds like the MSBLASTER infection.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. No, I already have backed up files and have resigned myself to the fact that I should just start anew. But I still cannot get the disk to load.....

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
OK, then we need the make, model of the PC

In reply to: Sounds like the MSBLASTER infection

So we can find the XP install procedure for this PC. We don't care about what's on the hard disk or that the CD doesn't work in Windows since we usually boot the XP System Recovery CD (name varies with the system) and then wipe the drive and install from there resulting in a PC just like it came from the factory.
Bob

Collapse -
OK, then we need the make, model of the PC......

In reply to: OK, then we need the make, model of the PC

Hi, again. My computer is a Dell, Dimension 9100. The OS is XP home. Thanks for your patience with me.

Collapse -
Let's try Dell.com

In reply to: OK, then we need the make, model of the PC......

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.