Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Need to re-install iTunes...some questions

My XP PC's copy of iTunes seems to be having problems and I understand the only cure is a totally clean reinstallation of iTunes. I read it can be difficult to clean out completely, but Revo should do the trick there.

My questions are:

1. Will wiping out iTunes also wipe out the 2500 songs in my library? If so, is there a place to back them up to my hard drive since my DVD burner is also having issues at the moment?

2. Can my iPod be the source to re-load my iTunes songs, or is that going to create more problems?

3. Any tips before I take the plunge?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to re-install iTunes...some questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to re-install iTunes...some questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't do it.

In reply to: Need to re-install iTunes...some questions

Collapse -
Burner

In reply to: Don't do it.

Unfortunately I recently found Roxio can't seem to get my burner working. When I click "burn" it says there is no supported burner. My Plextor burner shows up in device manager as working properly, plays discs fine, etc. I uninstalled and re-installed Roxio Easy CD Creator and still have the same issue.

I know I have to fix this, as I need to back up some photos as well. I also am getting an error from iTunes that I believe mentions a burner, so I thought it might be iTunes that's causing the conflict in the first place since it has problems opening when I click the icon on my desktop.

Collapse -
Try the freebies.

In reply to: Burner

Did you try CDBURNERXP? If that doesn't list your CD/DVD recorder look at the usual upperfilters, lowerfilters removal too.

Roxio has a web site of the supported drives. I find it must be on the list and the list changes with what Roxio version and updates you have.
Bob

Collapse -
re

In reply to: Try the freebies.

Everything has worked fine to this point. I re-installed Roxio with the CD that came with my burner, so I'm not sure what the heck happened

Collapse -
Spyware, malware tinker with...

In reply to: re

"look at the usual upperfilters, lowerfilters removal too." See google if you are unfamiliar with these registry entries. But it's a common issue and you'll find plenty on that entry.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) ???

In reply to: Spyware, malware tinker with...

Collapse -
I can't guess what is working or not.

In reply to: ???

I can't guess if you need to remove those registry entries. Can you tell me a little more about if it is now working or not and if not working if you removed those usual entries?
Bob

Collapse -
Two problems...

In reply to: I can't guess what is working or not.

When I try to burn a disc, Roxio says:
"There are no supported recorders available. Make sure that your recorder is powered on and that all cables are properly connected. Also make sure the latest version of the software is installed to ensure you have the latest drivers."

Check

iTunes warning:

"The registry settings used by iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes."

The only thing I can possibly think of is installing Audacity to record old LPs. I have since uninstalled it to make sure that isn't the issue.

Collapse -
"look at the usual upperfilters, lowerfilters removal too."

In reply to: Two problems...

Look up upperfilters on google.com and you find where these are. It's a common problem and why I don't write how to do that. I will note it, I did ask directly if you got it done but so far I just read that it still doesn't work. Try that.
Bob

Collapse -
re

In reply to: "look at the usual upperfilters, lowerfilters removal too."

I don't get any error codes in Device Manager, it says device working properly, and latest driver is installed. Also, the drive shows in My Computer and shows whatever the title of the disc that's in tyhe drive

Collapse -
Not looking for error codes here.

In reply to: re

It's a common issue and sadly I've seen people format a machine over this. Just wondering why we can't remove the filters, reboot and try the CD/DVD recording again? It is a very common issue and look at the number of posts about it. Even here we have too many and still haven't got it done.
Bob

Collapse -
iTunes

In reply to: Not looking for error codes here.

I'll give it a shot...this isn't going to make iTunes unuseable in the short term, is it? I have no back-up besides my iPod.

Collapse -
No Luck

I removed Easy CD Creator, then the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters, with no change to the Roxio warning that no supported recorder was available. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
After the removal, reboot.

Some need that boot. If Roxio still doesn't note it then the drive is unsupported. Imagine the (poorer?) owner that Roxio came with their drive and they run into this issue. Why did it happen to them? They had updated the drives FIRMWARE. One time we had a discussion of 30 odd posts before they volunteered this nugget.
Bob

Collapse -
as a last resort....

Collapse -
iTunes Library

In reply to: as a last resort....

Thanks Deepsigh,
I found something on Yahooanswers about copying my iTunes Music folder to another location on my HD just in case. It took around 25 minutes! Now, if I could just get Easy CD Creator to recognize my burner...

Collapse -
Bob

"Some need that boot."
I did reboot

"If Roxio still doesn't note it then the drive is unsupported."
The two came together, and until as recently as a couple weeks ago, played nicely together.

"Imagine the (poorer?) owner that Roxio came with their drive and they run into this issue. Why did it happen to them? They had updated the drives FIRMWARE."
So, updating my drive's firmware suddenly caused the conflict? I'd have thought Plextor would have tested a firmware update with the software they provide with their installation CD. Besides, I updated the firmware way before I had this problem.

"One time we had a discussion of 30 odd posts before they volunteered this nugget." Which nugget?
Bob

Collapse -
Then we also have those other drivers.

In reply to: Bob

Such as Intel Accelerators that can cause this. Small details such as driver updates accepted from here, there, Microsoft could knock this out.

Good luck but it's looking like it's time for a new drive. It could have failed and that's why Roxio will have nothing to do with it. We are trying but sometimes you gotta give it the heave ho.
Bob

Collapse -
The ipod as a backup.

In reply to: Bob

It barely qualifies. Even though it can double as data storage where is the backup copy?

We've been over the usuals but I had hoped you would blurt out something about CD emulators or some other software title. I can't guess which title it could be since there are more than I will type in this small space. There are also instances where the new privacy protection in some antivirus suites kicks CDR recording to the curb.

Try thinking over any item that is new including SP3, updates, and if you feel like it, click on my name and shoot me your HIJACTHIS log file so I can peek under the hood.
Bob

Collapse -
hyjackthis log file

In reply to: The ipod as a backup.

You mean the long list of code or files?

Collapse -
The log file, as-is.

In reply to: hyjackthis log file

It's helpful since I might find emulators or such.

Collapse -
Done

In reply to: The log file, as-is.

Just sent it to you

Collapse -
Ouch.

In reply to: Done

I see multiple programs that can conflict with each other.

First!!! Those NO FILE entries should be cleaned off. You'll get that same advice from those that do HJT work.

Second. Consider [Disc Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe and what it does...

Updates are at http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/ecddvdc/software_updatesv6_plat.html I can't tell or missed that you have them.

Finally, head to the Spyware forum and ask point blank if your collection of Adaware, Windows Defender, Nod32, Zonealarm and what else? has any known conflicts. That's a bit on the heavy side with overlapping defenses that we can't guess if some recent update has done you in.

While at the spyware forum read the top post to find a HJT forum to read yours. There is some cleanup needed here.
Bob

Collapse -
Solution!

In reply to: Ouch.

Thanks for all the time Bob. I checked out the Roxio Forum and got an answer. Apparently, I needed a new "PX Engine", and that did the trick. For what it's worth, and to anyone else who finds this thread because they're having the same problem, the thread is at...

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=36964

Scroll down to Resolution #5, "Updating to the latest PX Engine"

Collapse -
Sorry.

In reply to: Solution!

I had left updating Roxio out since I took the posts above to mean it was working before with said recorder. I know about firmware updates causing such to fail and getting the updates then but I missed it...
Bob

Collapse -
NP

In reply to: Sorry.

Thought I did that with that Roxioupdate tool you linked me too. Oh well, it's up and running. I can safely format my camera's CF card now without fear! Now, on to iTunes...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.