General discussion

Need to make decision on a Camcorder

I was about to get the Sony HC42 MiniDV camcorder untill the salesman showed me the DCR-DVD301.
However after reading some reviews here on CNET, I get the feeling that the DVD format for camcorders is not yet ready for prime time. What is your feeling. Am I better of sticking with a MiniDV or is the DVD as good as it will get?
I know the prices are different, but the video quality and ease of operation is my main concern. Any input will be appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need to make decision on a Camcorder
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need to make decision on a Camcorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
For my money, the mini-DV is the preferred choice. The

video it stores is higher quality, and the media is both more durable and easier to handle. The mini-DV stores about 13 gigabytes for 60 minutes of video. That far surpasses what a DVD can do even when burned by a desktop computer. The DVD can store more than 60 minutes of video, but only after compressing the data.

I think you will find that all high end cameras use the mini-DV format. Think Canon GL2 or Sony VX2100 and even higher end cameras like the Canon XL2 or Sony PD-170. That should tell you what you need to know.

- Collapse -
Mini DV or DVD camcorder?

I'm looking for a digital camcorder too, and from the research I've done; it seems that if you JUST want to view the "raw" footage you have shot, then the DVD is simple and easy. HOWEVER, if you're like me and others who want to play with iMovie or Final Cut Pro/Final Cut Express, then the Mini DV is the way to go, because getting the video off the DVD is another process to add to what you already have to do.

My two cents

Doug

CNET Forums

Forum Info