Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Need to make a decision on a wireless router PLEASE HELP

by eric.sommer18 / July 1, 2009 7:33 AM PDT

So i need to buy a new router and i have some options but i need some help
The three options i am considering are
1. Belkin N+ router
2. Apple's air port express (cheap one with no storage)
3. any other router for under 120$ (cad)

The things i need from my router are a usb port for storage device AND printing, not too many ports all computers have wireless
another small question i have is can you put a usb hub (a small device that turns 1 usb port into many) to have more than one usb port for things like printing and storage

i will be on the same floor and at most 30 feet away
i am not sure if you can use the belkin for printing and do you know any other router that will support my needs??

Please help and thanks for the help in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to make a decision on a wireless router PLEASE HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to make a decision on a wireless router PLEASE HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I like the first 2 choices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 8:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
Made abit of a desicion
by eric.sommer18 / July 1, 2009 2:15 PM PDT

So I've done abit more research and I'm leaning towards the airport express ifff it can support a USB hub for storage and printing if not I will have to find one that can support printers and storage do u you know any that can do that ???

Collapse -
I'll just write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 2:18 PM PDT

Since Apple has The Time Machine that is connected on the network the overlap in functionality would be a bad idea.

Collapse -
I don't understand
by eric.sommer18 / July 1, 2009 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll just write no.

I don't fully understand what u mean can you elaborate or explain a litlle bit I don't plan on using time machine so I don't see the problem

Collapse -
Simple really.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't understand

I'll try to cover what you can't discover on your own by reading the specs. Since Apple has The Time Machine this explains why you may not get a free NAS in the router. Take a step back to see the big picture.

Collapse -
I don't really want details
by eric.sommer18 / July 1, 2009 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Simple really.

All I want is a router that let's me attach two printers so two computers can see them and one external hard drive so two computers can see it
I don't know what NAS is and franckly I don't care
time machine is a perfect application ad if I have to use that I have no problems
if u know a router that can do what I need it would be great if you told me
Thank you

Collapse -
You didn't have such on your list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 11:20 PM PDT

And there is not a single router that I would buy today that would do this. Why must the NAS and printer server be in that router?

You picked a fine router. Now just get your network ready printer and NAS and plug it in.
Bob

Collapse -
i kinda understand
by eric.sommer18 / July 2, 2009 1:28 AM PDT

So i like that you said i picked a fine router with the airport extreme or express
now what is NAS and i dont really understand
I have a printer and i need to buy a router
I want to buy a router and plug two printers into it and one external hard drive
if you dont know a router that can do this, do you know how i can make this happen with other technology

Collapse -
To plug printers and drives in
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2009 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: i kinda understand

Means "Print Server" and "Network Attached Storage."

If you read the review you got your NAS on one model. The printer server is not there and given the thousand models of printers I think it best you get a print server box or a "network ready" printer.

Or you can wait for a router to appear with such things all in one box?
Bob

Collapse -
so lets see if i understand
by eric.sommer18 / July 2, 2009 3:56 AM PDT

So what your saying is there is not a router that will support both storage and a printer?
So do you know two piece of hardware that will enable me to complete my wishes?

Collapse -
You have the first piece picked out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2009 7:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
small question
by eric.sommer18 / July 2, 2009 10:48 AM PDT

i wanted to know if anybody knows if asus routers are compatible with mac
On the website it says compatible with vista but not mac os X
?????????

Collapse -
About Mac.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2009 10:59 AM PDT

I have NEVER had any issues with Apple machines and routers. Now there are some that will write about the software CD that comes with routers for Windows only but for good or bad I rarely use those.

If you find someone that can't get the Apple working with a router then they are just a little new.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. To keep going, reply to the top post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2009 11:01 AM PDT

This forum software limits the depth.

Collapse -
One question
by eric.sommer18 / July 3, 2009 4:00 AM PDT

I've researched d-link routers but i wanted to know the following
Are there a lynksys router that can support usb hard drive and pritners>???

Collapse -
Let's say.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2009 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: One question

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!