Resolved Question

Need to know which video card is compatible

This is all going to sound really stupid, but I've never installed a video card before and I don't even know where to begin in finding out which one's compatible and which one isn't. Something about PCI? lol. I need help, as you can see.

Computer info:

Dell
Model number: DHM
Manufacturing date: 06/04/03
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz
Motherboard number: 02X378
RAM: 1 GB
Current video card: Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

If there's any more information that I missed, just let me know. Thank you

Discussion is locked
andromedajay has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Need to know which video card is compatible
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need to know which video card is compatible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Re: videocard

The common types of video slots on the motherboard are (going from pre-historic to current) are:
- vesa
- agp
- pci
- pci-e x1
- pci-e x16

So it depends on your specific motherboard what kind of cards would be possible. Just have a look in the technical documentation or on the support.dell.com (use the machine specific tag) or open the case and see.

It's somewhat doubtful if it is a good idea to spend any money on a 9-year old PC. Why do you want to to that, and what's the purpose you want to reach?

Kees

- Collapse -
eureka

Ah, now it makes sense. it depends on the motherboard, and my motherboard is up to regular PCI. Thanks a lot.

Don't worry, I'm not making this into my rig. My other computer broke down and I just want to bring this used one into this century by means of a cheap video card.

Anyway, thanks again fellas.

- Collapse -
Answer
Ummm

I don't think DHM is a valid model number.

If you have a service tag number......maybe a sticker on the machine or in your paper work.

Go to Dell and plug in that service number.

With a little luck Dell will tell you a valid model number and all the parts that are in the machine.

- Collapse -
Answer
PCI. And a card I would use.

CNET Forums